Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Kris IMOM

Vader Burfield - kitty with bladder blockage Re-opened

110 posts in this topic

Cadet is becoming increasingly distant, but eating a healthy diet, and urinating regularly. It's nice to see him posture and have a nearly regulated urinating system. Although he did urinate on me this morning when I gave him his pill. I hope it was just fear.

I really don't like the drooly mess these pills create. It's awful and I know he hates it.

He's actually been cuddling with my other black cat Tushi a lot more than he used to.

I'm glad he could find comfort in him. They've always been close.

I appreciate the offer for the capsules, but I don't think he needs them, the pill always ones in an stays in. He just doesn't like the forceful method of giving it to him. No matter what I put it in, he eats around it

If you put the pill in the unflavored gel cap and then put the gel cap into some tasty food- many kitties will eat it right down. I have success with rare roast beef- poached chicken- anything you can hide the pills in so you don't have to force them down

Kathy

Vader is a lot better about taking his medicine. Thanks for all the suggestions. He officially knows the word pill. And he isn't pleased about it. But otherwise everything is very well. Just the amount of drool that follows the pill is awful. Puddles everywhere!

I am hoping that each and every day is getting better and better for you and Vader...

How long does he have to take his pills? How does he like the prescription food he has to eat?

I hope that Vader is getting better at taking his medication. I know how hard that can be.

I need donation help for my cat that is in need of treatment for something in hr blader, but I can't seem to post on the forum. Any reasons why?

When my Bandit had part of his lower jaw removed because of cancer, He drooled a lot. He still does though not as bad. I now often call him Slimer. He's very good at sliming me. Lol. If he is accustomed to a collar, perhaps you could try a bandana on him? You can always cut bandanas down and fasten them to a breakaway collar with velcro if there is any concern the bandana might catch on something. If part of the reason for the drool is upset, maybe you could offer him catnip or play with him right after the pill? Maybe try something positive right after the pill. Whenever I give Dakota his weekly B-12 shot, I give him a treat right afterward. He's still annoyed with me, but he does sit and wait for it after the shot.

My Smokey is going through this now such a scary situation I am so glad your Vader is doing better now I am hoping to get Smokey the surgery he needs soon.

Hi

The drool is cat's natural reaction to bad tasting substances - it helps them avoid being poisoned by foaming up and expelling the nasty that was eaten. Some medications will do this to kitty. I use unflavored gel caps (smallest one that works) and put that in roast beef or something and no more foaming.

Kathy