Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Kris IMOM

Vader Burfield - kitty with bladder blockage Re-opened

110 posts in this topic

Getting SO CLOSE! If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; note for Vader Burfield. If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate Vader's name when making your donation.

Vader is ready for surgery.

Yay - a $62.50 Matching Challenge!! Thank you so much Jaz! And Happy Birthday Turbo!! Folks, we're almost there! Let's see how quickly we can get Vader to All Funds Raised!

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; note for Vader Burfield. If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate Vader's name when making your donation.

Thank you all so much!

NOW is the time to make your donation...EVERY $$$ is doubled AND Vander can get to all funds raised!!! WHOOO HOOO

So I finally figured out how to post pictures through my phone! And happy birthday to Turbo, and I'm glad Taylor has survived and overcome so many challenges. I hope Vader gets as long and healthy as a life! He's definitely a fighter! I can't wait to see him again tonight!post-31102-0-01891700-1403704384_thumb.j

Edited by frostydreams

C'mon angels, take my money and let's get dancing nanners!

FUND UPDATE: Vader has $815 in donations and needs $75 more!

Really just $12.50 more then the Matching Challenge can be sent in.

The nanners are just begging to be brought out!

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; note for Vader Burfield. If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate Vader's name when making your donation.

Thank you!

FUND UPDATE: Vader has $827.50 in donations and needs $62.50 more! The Matching Challenge has been met!

Feel free to send in that Matching Challenge and the nanners can dance!

Edited by Dawn IMOM

Let's see those nanners! Going to submit it now

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Angels Vader is at all funds raised!!!!!

I just spoke with the vet. They will be calling Vader's mom and getting him into surgery today!!

Thank you Angels!!!!

Awesome!!! :luck::happydance:

Yes, waiting anxiously to hear.

After a lot of waiting, some tears, a lot of frustration and confusion, Vader is finally home with me. It was beautiful to wake up and find him with me in bed. He was scheduled for surgery yesterday, but when I arrived at 10pm, there was an emergency crisis in the back. I didn't get to see Vader until after 11pm. The vets explained he started urninating this morning on his own. They are almost sure he does not need it. However, should he come to need it, the pledge from IMOM is there. They sent me home with medication, and so far we are good. He rushed to the letterbox as soon as we got home. He was excited to leave and willingly jumped into his box for home.

Wonderful news! The funds are there if he needs surgery -- and (hopefully) if he doesn't -- the funds could be used to help the next PIN that wanders through IMOM's door.

sharing to my facebook friends world wide. He has been added to my prayer chain ( also world wide ) Keep faith that he will be healthy and home with you soon. IMOM is a God-sent organization full of Angels.

I apologize for the lack of updates on my end. Since Vader's release from St. Francis he's been a little rocky. The first couple nights were great. By day three I noticed Vader became blocked again.

This has been very stressful for me, since the hospital wouldn't fax Vader's prescription over I had to find time to drive over, which I'm glad happened. I was able to bring Vader with me between jobs to pick up his script and have the vet avid on his case give his bladder a squeeze for me. Dr. Ridge said it was very full again. So he manually emptied it, free of charge.

Since then, his droplets of urine have turned into half streams. Which is fantastic news on my end. It's the most progress I've seen since his release. This evening Vader will be placed on his permanent diet. And hopefully I will continue to see progress.

Dr. Ridge informed me, should Vader once again become blocked he has no problem manually emoting him again.

I'm so lucky to have so much help in this journey to recovery. Such a beautiful slams strong community, and so many willing people to help.

Having the prescription food made the world of difference for my Stanley. I hope it will be the same for Vadar.

As of this morning Vader still is lightly streaming, which is good news I think. What I found strange was the fact that I woke up and he was sitting in a puddle of his own urine too. I hope he was just being lazy and there's no bladder function issues. :/

He's still eating but not as much as he used to. And he's learning to fear me because of the medications I have to give to him daily, but that's a small price to pay.

Have you tried Greenie Pill Pockets for medicine giving? They are so awesome! I used to have the hardest time with one of my cats and these work wonders. You can give a few without a pill then try to slip one in with a pill. Also if they're trying to chew it too much and discovering the pill, try using only half the pill pocket and sometimes they don't feel like they really have to chew it cause it's small enough to just swallow. It's a win/win...easy for you, treat time for them. Hope he gets back to 100% soon!!!!

Hi

Another option is to get unflavored gel caps (the smallest ones you use) and hide the pill in something Vader likes- I have good success with poached chicken or roast beef.

Also, if you give the medications at the same time- in the same place- then Vader will not be constantly worried that you are coming after him to pill him. I would use an area that Vader does not go to (if such a thing exists !)- I used the top of my dryer for fluids and pills. Also, create a spoken routine so Vader knows what is coming and that it is done when you say ALL DONE and give a treat or whatever works for you. Cats adopt routines quickly so it should only take a few days for him to get the hang of it

Good luck

Kathy

I appreciate all the advice, introducing new foods to his diet was not something the vet and I spoke about. So, I will stick will manually givin it to him with no cover up, but the routine thing sounds like a wonderful idea. Someplace he hates for an activity he hates. It would definitely help with the fear he's developing of my hands and gestures toward his direction. He still willingly comes to me in bed. Which I'm happy about.

This is great to hear. I pray he continues to improve. If it is possible, maybe try crushing the pill and mix it with his favorite soft food or Tuna fish.

Best of luck and blessings to you as well

Kathy

I can tell you that routines really do work. If you can do it at the same time every day, that helps as well.

Make sure you use the same words (doesn't matter what you say) when you start and also when you finish. Then he know he is done for the day.

If you want to try some gel caps, send me your address and I will mail some to you. Some people have success coating the pill with butter if that is ok for Vader.

Make sure that you give Vader something to eat so it will wash the pill down. I read an article about pills getting stuck (people too) in the throat- not a good thing.

Good luck

Kathy