Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jacki IMOM

Simba Walter - needs eye enucleation

50 posts in this topic

Simba is only 9 months old and has glaucoma. He needs his eye removed before it busrts. Surgery has already been scheduled for 5/29 - tomorrow. In order to make that happen IMOM has pledged $652 from our VIP fund. VIP - visually impaired pets.

Here's what Simba's mom had to say about her baby:

My 13 yr. old is a functional D.A.I. brain injury child. He and I volunteer at our local ASPCA. We had to have Neo, 10 yr. old , put to sleep due to cancer issues 2 days after Christmas. Sean and I are heart-broken. Simba sprang out of his cage into Sean's arms and that's when I knew "BOO" (as he was known then) had chosen Sean. We fell upon hard times and just cannot afford this surgery. My son and Simba have both been through enough trauma. Simba has made our hearts complete again.

We could surely use you help if you can make a donation of any amount to replenish our VIP fund. Our only source of revenue to the VIP is through the sales of our tee shirts and sweatshirts.

To make a donation please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd and note for VIP. If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient.

Thank you for your care and support.

post-2-0-20567100-1401300671_thumb.jpg

All the best to Simba for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. Healing thoughts and prayers are with you.

Diane

Simba's owner wrote this in another section of the forum.

I found out about your organization from another support organization which I got from a totally different venue all together. I never knew there was such a kind-hearted organization. I honestly felt all alone and scared to death. Simba's surgery is scheduled to 5-29-14 and you really saved us. I was starting to think there was no hope. Consider yourselves on "Blast" with me. I will be praising your name forever.

Simba will feel so much better when that nuisance of a bum eye is gone. Annabelle, in my avatar, is now one-eyed as well, due to glaucoma overtaking her eye. I can tell you, she doesn't miss the bad eye one bit. Good Luck in surgery today, little one.

Thank so much for the support as my little Lion King, Simba goes through his surgery today. My son has graciously donated his change jar for his trains to help pay for this as well. I had to promise to keep him updated throughout his day at school so he would go :-). Thankfully, the school is understanding and has agreed to allow him to have his cell phone with him today so I can. I have to say, they have been outstanding with the amount of patience and understanding they have with us regarding this situation. My son has been through a lot for being 13. He sustained a D.A.I. brain injury and hemi-paralysis from a car accident he and I were in back in 2006. We had to have our Neo boy (10yr. old black DSH) put to sleep 2 days after Christmas due to cancer issues. So he wanted to volunteer at the shelter afterward. Next thing I know, he opens this cage and all I saw was this buff colored tiny furball fly out into his arms. The smile on his face said it all. He looked at me and said, "Mom? He wants to come home with us. I feel Neo told him he needs to" We both stood there hugging with "Boo" ( his shelter name), in between us crying and laughing at the same time. We brought him home and he "took over". Sean said he's the King now. He's Simba :-D.

Thank you for the update. Simba will adjust to his new vision soon- make sure that you do not approach him on his dark side without letting him know you are there.

How wonderful that your school is letting him be in touch during the day so he does not have to worry. We all know how awful it is to wait for news.

IMOM rides to the rescue again

Kathy

Simba has undergone surgery and is doing well. He was still sleeping when they had called.

Simba is home :-) He was HUNGRY and thirsty and he really had to pee lol. Mostly, just very happy to be home. He will be spending the next couple of weeks confined to my bedroom in peace and quiet with very short visits from his big brothers Little Boss and Coco. I can not relate to you how happy we all are. IMOM ... Thank you again. Banfield Pet Hospital did an outstanding job of taking care of he and us through the whole ordeal. May God keep you all blessed and the charitable people able to remain charitable.

post-30780-0-47749500-1401407349_thumb.j

So glad Simba is home and hungry and thirsty - great signs for recovery. Smooch him on the head and give him a chin/cheeky scratch from me... Betsy

Edited by ABQBets

Hugs and kisses to you all, and may Simba continue to sail along on the road to recovery. Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

Diane

And this is why we do what we do! I am so happy for Simba and your family.

My hope is that you will have many happy and healthy years ahead together.

I'm so happy for you and Simba.

IMOM makes every day special for me- just knowing how many wonderful people are out there to help loving pets and their companions in their time of need.

Kathy

Simba did pretty well last night and today. I spent most of the night just holding him while he slept. I let him come out of my room for a bit today, he attempted to go into one of the other litter boxes with a lid. I laughed because he actually got in, did his business, and then backed out lol. Needless to say, those lids have been removed as well. Banfield called to see how he was doing. He is scheduled to go in on the 5th to have the pain patch removed from his tail. All in all, the hardest part for him is eating and drinking and believe me... he acts like he is starving still so I give him as much as he wants for now and give him extra love and attention. I can leave the cage door open on the crate and he just lays in there and sleeps. He's such a good little boy. Sean came home from school and immediately scooped him up just to cuddle. Simba kept talking and licking him. Those two together are quite the pair. Love them both dearly. Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. I give him all the love you send and then some. He "eats" it up lol

Blessings to all,

Kathy & Sean

we love this little Lion King. here's a "wink" back to you, Simba.

AJ

It is absolutely amazing how resilient cats can be. Simba slept independently last night. He would check on me throughout the night (purring and meowing at me). I woke up to him laying on my chest staring at me. Yep, he's back to almost normal behavior. The exception is... having to hold his food dish on an angle so he can get in to eat. He doesn't seem to mind the extra attention lol. Sean has been a great help. He offers to clean Simba's face and clean the cone after he eats. We have been using a baby wash cloth and J & J baby shampoo to wipe around his face and cone. Of course, once that is done, he gets a treat lol. He is getting more and more active with each day> thankfully> THANK YOU IMOM.

Had another great day. I gave Simba a break from the cone so he could eat independently. He loved it. I guess his face itches with the new hair growth starting because he couldn't stop "loving" on us and of course purring very loud. Then when I put the cone back on, he laid down and really looked sad. He looks like he is healing nicely. The swelling is going down very well, his appetite is back to normal. He still loves to be cuddled, which is normal for him. Thank you for the prayers and well wishes for Simba.

Kathy & Sean

late night post after a very busy day. Simba spent most of the day sleeping. I laid down with him for a few minutes and he cuddled right up to me so I covered him with his favorite blanket. He looks like he had a bloody nose at some point during the night. It was dried up by morning face washing. Frequent checks throughout the day did not see any fresh blood. Going to keep an eye out just in case. He is getting used to having the cone on but would still prefer not to wear it. I leave it on him majority of the time except for when he is eating. Still have to wipe it out and dry him off after he drinks lol. He goes in on Thursday to have the pain patch removed and a pre-check up. I'm going to mention the bloody nose and also above his stitches looks like it might be getting more pink. Not sure if that's good or not. Going to call tomorrow just in case. Other than that, Sean is making mommy promise to watch over Simba for him while he goes to Camp Cranium next week. :-) He really loves his Simba.

Blessings to all,

Kathy, Sean, and Simba

Hi

You might want to ask the vet if Simba can have one of those softer, fabric cones. They are not as irritating to kitty and make it easier to eat.

Hope all is going well for Simba today

Kathy

Came home after a hectic day today and Simba's eye was oozing and had a funky smell. Called Banfield and had to take him right over. As was suspected, it has an infection. My poor little King. Now he is on liquid antibiotics daily and the cone stays on indefinitely while he heals. I feel really bad for him. I was doing as they told me and it still got infected. Praying nothing else happens and he can heal completely.

Hoping you all have a good day. Praise be to IMOM and Banfield.

Kathy

I took Simba in as per his appointment for a follow up for his eye socket infection. They decided to keep him over night to drain it and flush it. Praying all goes well so he can come back home before Sean leaves for Camp Cranium on Monday. Thank you for your support, prayers, and well wishes.

we hope so too. get well soon Simba. give sean a hug for us and tell him to have fun at camp.

called the Banfield today for an update. They are keeping Simba over night again. Antibiotics every 2 hours and flushing his socket throughout the day. Apparently the infections was worse than 1st thought. We are praying he will come home soon. No idea why it got so infected. UGH!! Just keep praying. Thank you for your support. Praising IMOM

Kathy & Sean