Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jamie K. - IMOM

Princess (Autumn Acres Rescue) - 8 yo Spayed Rat Terrier with Mast Cell Tumor That Has Ruptured

69 posts in this topic

I am not sure exactly where to get them- someone on one of the kitty boards sent them to me. Maybe a compounding pharmacy- or maybe your local pharmacy. They are not expensive

What you need to know about them- smaller size is larger numbers. SO, a three capsule is smaller than a one or a zero. Best way is to use the smallest size possible.

Also, make sure to follow with food so the pill goes all the way down. I try to use liquids after reading about pills getting stuck and what happens after that.

Kathy

You can get the gel capsules from Amazon. I'm including this link because one of the offerings actually has a chart for the different sizes...it looks like you can get capsules as small as a number 5.

http://www.amazon.com/Empty-Hard-Gelatin-Capsule-Size/dp/B00DRJEQTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401389210&sr=8-1&keywords=size+5+gelatin+capsules

Diane

I have some gel caps at home so you can see if it works for you- pm or email your address and I will get them in the mail Friday.

I will send you a few of whichever ones I have

Kathy

Thank you so much for the offer :) I think if we need it we wiill buy some through Amazon. Princess gets her last pills tonight. She went to the vet for a recheck today and there is a discolored area along the suture line but the vet feels it is just from the inflamation from the surgery. It is a small area...about .5 inch. We'll see what it looks like next week. The tumor results are in and it was a grade 3 tumor. That means it is likely to come back at some time, but as Dr. Jon said it could very well be years down the line. Princess hates her e collar and hates being crated. She's a sweetheart, she goes into the crate when we tell her too, but she doesn't enjoy it, she wants out all of the time and if given a chance she runs to the dog bed in the dining room vs the crate. I let her have some time with the e collar off today (while at the vet) but she was trying to lick constantly. I can't wait til she can be free again.She shows no signs of pain and loves her treats.

Sorry for typos, I am on my kindle and it is hard to type on

down the line means - don't worry, be happy TODAY. great news she's showing no signs of pain.

Yes down the line means for now everything seems great. I know we all can't wait for Princess to be out of that crate. She has started barking in the crate now :( She is always pawing the door, won't eat in the crate, and just hates the confinement. I feel bad for her, I tried to get the ok from the vet to just let her roam one room but he said no way at all. She needs to be doing no walking/running except what is absolutely necessary. He said she has too many sutures and can't risk even one of them coming out.

I think once she's fully healed a trip to the dog park will be in order for her. She's starting to hate car rides, gets all trembly and scared :( she's never done that before either. Poor gal has been through so much and she doesn't understand why this is happening. I sure wish we could explain things to them.

Doctors have trouble getting people to stay quiet after surgery as well...especially when the visible part of the surgery (where the sutures are) starts to heal- remember that the body has to heal from the inside out and needs quiet.

I always tell my kids what is going on and when they can expect to be able to do their normal routine; I know they understand me because their behavior changes and they stop talking to me about getting out of their cage !

Hoping for a long time (forever) before anything recurs

Big hugs to Princess today

Kathy

I know Princess will be so happy to go to the dog park once she's out of the crate and ecollar! She'll just love that!

Jamie.K

Princess now has her e collar off, is off of crate rest, and all of her sutures have been removed! As a reward we went to the local dog park. We live in a small town and there are hardly ever other dogs at the dog park but there are lots of smells. Princess enjoyed herself, got to relax, roll in the grass and enjoy herself. post-3276-0-55195500-1402119300_thumb.jp

post-3276-0-80347400-1402119317_thumb.jp

post-3276-0-18759500-1402119346_thumb.jp

post-3276-0-82723600-1402119361_thumb.jp

In this photo you can see the incision is still healing, but she's feeling much better.

Thank you all!!

How wonderful to see Princess frolicking in the park - so great to see her better and happy. This is why we do what we do,right Angels? High fives all around... Betsy

Just wanted to stop by and let you all know that Princess is still doing great! No signs of the cancer coming back. She is a happy happy girl!

That's great news! Thank you so much for updating us!

Jamie

I have very bad news to share. Princess was put to sleep last night. I had an appt for her for today because it looked like the lump was coming back, but she crashed yesterday. I was at work and my rescue partner called me. She was rushing Princess to the vet, she said she felt like Princess was dying. The vet did an ultrasound and there were tumors in her abdomen. She couldn't stand and was breathing abdominally. There was nothing we could do to save her. Thank you all for giving her 4 more months of happiness.

I am so sorry to hear this. I am sure she had a wonderful 4 months she would not have had without you. Godspeed, sweet Princess.

:animcnda_lg:

Judy G.

It has been 1 month since we lost Princess and not a day goes by that we all don't miss her. Her best buddy Hannah spent the first week laying and sitting on the hard wood floor, as though the dog beds and blankets were not the same without Princess. Hannah is now back to sleeping with Sitter and my 17 year cat now sleeps in Princess' spot. Princess always slept between the other 2 rat terriers. She was such a special dog.

Well dad is home and I'm off to the vet tomorrow for a bump I n my ear, been scratching at. Might be Addisons related can't be to careful.

Wow, you know dad had a birds eye view of the crew races last weekend while he was in hospitial, as I sang the winning song for aunt Charlene.

So went to the vet extreme wax build up in my ear dad cleans them weekly but was not taking in the left ear, what you say, lolololololol, never over preventive.

Great day let you know if I see Ginger, lunch time so gotta go gotta go.

So what did you dress up as yesterday ? I had to be creative because I am Isley and also the Prince of Union Square, so being who I am more than a dog I thought to be a different type of dog I wore a bow tie and was a boxer, lol.

All that saw me believed me and liked my outfit, dad is a bit slow and did not take any pictures.

Raining today and I was outside and now I'm soaking wet so off to take a warm shower.

Oh yeah went to the vet on Tuesday past because dad was worried about my scratching and what he called a cough but all is good we just watch out the frequency of it most likely it is due to the Precortin shots keep you in the know .

Love ya