Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Cindy.k IMOM

Soze Comeau - Cat with mass in jaw

133 posts in this topic

eyes beginning to focus- good sign. Constant purring- still need to evaluate, but I am hoping that it is contentment knowing she's home and not having to stay at that place where she was in a cage. Maybe as she begins to relax some more, that jaw and mouth will relax a little more, and she'll know that big old lump is gone.

How long do they anticipate the need for tube feeding?

We've been through hell!!

I went in and was "trained" on how to tube feed. The girl opened the can, added the prescribed amount of water and told me that I only needed to stir it real good with the syringe. (Which she demonstrated).She than left me and went to take care of other patients dispite the fact that this was an appointment visit.

I was having a time with it and the seem kept separating. When she did make her one and only appearance, she said that was OK, just squeeze it back on ...and wait a minute to continue feeding. It took me forever but she gave me the one can a food, a prescription for more food, and sent me on my way.

Next feeding took me 2 hours if it took me a minute. Joint in the feeding tube coming apart and food going everywhere. SEVERAL calls to the hospitat, they told me to add a little coke and rinse the tube with water.... The syringes were giving me trouble too, even after adding more water, they simply weren't sucking up the food and then had a vise grip when trying to push the food into the tube, which of course was causing that seem to seperate so the food was coming out there instead of going in the tube.

Then

I went to get the food which they said I could get at Petsmart only to find out no one sells it in the whole city and it had to be ordered on line.

Frantically, I went back to the hospital with Soze, which I hated to do because of the stress on her, but I had no choice.... Come to find out that the food requires blending in a blender, and her tube was clogged from the food not being prepared correctly.

She and I were up all night trying to get this food, water etc...in the tube. I called other emergency places and pharmacies trying desperately to get syringes that actually work. Watching YouTube videos on tube feeding.... It was awful.

Anyway, it's all fixed now.

They cleaned out her tube, gave me three cans of food and a syringe that actually works.

This was ridiculous and I'm calling Tuesday to complain.This was unexcepable. I have a very sick cat that needs food, water, meds.

Now that I have working equipment, this isn't that hard at all...and it's not so frightening anymore.

My son has been helping me as we don't leave Soze alone at all. We were so upset, we were running around lime the Keystone cops after hours of this nightmare..dropping things, losing the cap, searching for the cap. I have coke on the ceiling. what a mess.

But Soze is good to go now!

Edited by jeanninecomeau

Hang in there. How long do they think it will be before she's eating on her own ?

do us both a favorite... don't just call with your complaint. Be sure to put it in writing to the hospital. They need to know that lay people are not trained and may not know what they deem to be obvious when doing their training.

I feel so bad for all of you that you had this horrible experience, but relieved to know that things seem to be back on track. I agree with Huckleberry Hound about putting this writing. And, what food are you giving Soze that needs to be ordered online?

Diane

Hi everyone. Soze is doing much better now that the tube feeding is going so well. I don't suspect it will be quite. Sometime before she is eating on her own as there was a lot done to her jaw and under her tongue. I'm not worried, and have heard it can take weeks before a cat will eat and drink after this type of surgery.

A.L. Soze is quite thin and the doctor put her on Iams max calorie plus.

As you can imagine, we are all so tired. When I do sleep, it's with one eye open, but she is starting to have stretches of being awake and loving her patting and getting some good sleep in.

I will put my complaints in writing, as this wasn't fair to do to a tiny baby that just had major surgery, or the rest of us trying to care for her.

I am off to hopefully get some good rest.

Hi

I am going to look for the assist feeding group on yahoo. You can lurk there - or ask questions if you need help.

Most of them are very nice although I do remember a couple of them being a bit brusque with people - so don't be offended if you join and someone gives you a hard time. Remember you are doing it for Soze.

Hope all gets better soon

Kathy

This topic has been moved to Happy Endings. You can continue to follow Soze's progress there. Thank you all for your donations, support, and well wishes!