Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jamie K. - IMOM

Chubbles Eaves - 13-year-old Neutered Kitty with Hyperthyroid, Heart Murmer, Nausea/Vomiting, Peridontal Disease

88 posts in this topic

Happy Memorial Day!!!! Hope your all enjoying your weekend!

Chubbles has been doing fairly good.. He has gotten smart on the pilling.. and is giving my problems.. so far so good with the thyroid meds.. but in the past it has taken a week for anything to start up .. so we still have a few days.. Knock on wood.. no vomiting so far.

Animal you asked about the food.. I have tried him on (Human Food) boiled chicken, spam, ham, hot dogs, turkey lunchmeat, ham lunchmeat, baby food, egg, mashed potato (vets newest suggestion to give him meds), canned chicken, (Cat Food) lamb, duck, Turkey Chicken, beef

We are trying to keep him off fish which he absolutely LOVES... My options are getting slim.. He will love Spam (low sodium of course) for a few days then he gets tired of it.. chicken.. tired of it.. everything he gets tired of it.. he wants his fish.. I honestly broke down in tears yesterday cause I feel like I'm starving him and the stress of fighting to get his steroid down him. I tried telling him that if I didn't love him I wouldn't do all this for him and have people pulling for him and praying for him to be the cat he should be... I am lucky that he LOVES his vitamins! but I have to crumble them to dust for him to eat them.

The other day he discovered the catnip I had found so he got a treat of eating and rubbing in catnip again... he is so cute!!! To tell you what kind of cat he is... how well behaved. I took him to my grandmothers house so she could see him and he could cheer her up (also my mom was missing him and wanted to see him!) A normal cat will explore the whole time and not calm down (at least for a while) or hide where you can't see them.. Not Chubbles.. He explored a few minutes then came over to the chair I was sitting in and climbed under it and laid down (still very visible).. he stayed there till I packed him up to go home. He has been like that since day one.. even in the Vets office..

He also has been playing with my cat Sapphire. He will wiggle his butt and chase her.. he is doing this once a day. Its good to see that side of him again. But its sad that he doesn't last long and only once a day :( but it is better than nothing!!!

I don't know if IMOM will allow this or not but here is a video of Chubbles on the way to the vet. He makes the cutest meows. You will hear me do his OW sound then he copies me. I love that OW sound...

That's it for this update.. sorry for rambling.. I just wanted to give some good news!!! :)/>

Edited by Spiralweldpipe

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble getting Chubbles to eat. It's so frustrating when you have a kitty who is so finicky. I have one of those myself - Taylor - he was pretty sick for a long time with a couple of different things (and had 2 major surgeries) and trying to find things he would eat was a nightmare. I've had him since March of 2001, and he's always been picky - even when he's not sick. I call him Mr. Picky - like Chubbles, he'll eat something for a couple of days and then wants no part of it again. So it's a constant challenge.

Posting a video is fine - we love videos! The link you posted, though, doesn't work. Try putting the uploading the video onto the thread just as you would a photo, and that should work. If not, email it to me, and I'll post it for you.

I'm really glad to hear that Chubbles is doing better, and I sure hope it was the fish that was making him sick and not the Thyroid med. Paws crossed!

Jamie.K

Edited by Jamie K. - IMOM

Bummer about the video I will try to get it uploaded..

Maybe youtube is Broke...lol..

You can pull up my screen name if you chose on youtube.. its Babyshayleen.

BUNCH of cat videos of his sister Willow and two nieces Sapphire and MiTeeka (or Teeka)

Vomiting.. the other day I left all cats food out and my daughter and I went swimming.. came back to two vomit piles.. don't know if it was him or one of the girls.. Other then that one other vomiting episode of foam and fur.. Chubbles says ";Stupid shedding season"' :-p ok maybe he doesn't but I do...

Last night I took a chance and pulled the frozen chicken out from where he wasn't eating it.. and today.. he just cant get enough.. lol.. he keeps begging for food... score in my book.. but I know this wont last long (

His pills.. I figure out a trick after watching many youtube videos looking for help on how to pill a difficult cat.. Like the video I saw on giving your cat fluid.. these cats I was seeing were in a vets office or in a home and use to getting pills.. you could just tell it.. I mean seriously how often do you see a new cat getting a pill and it being calm as can be.. So after my daughter helping to pill him down and trying their techniques I came up with something of my own..

When I give him his pain meds I has to touch the membranes in his mouth (for those who don't know this) So I slip the syringe into his cheek pouch and go for it.. Well.. I decided.. lets try this.. slipped the piller into his little cheek pouch as far back as I could get it and pushed the pill in.. although he was not happy about it and me having to quick lift his head up so he couldn't spit it out.. he swallowed it.. THANK GOODNESS!!!! Again today with the same thing..

He is doing pretty good so far.. I really am thinking it was the fish that got him so sick.. but its still a mater of time will tell.

Till next time! :)

I found the video! So cute.

Jamie.K

Thanks!

I have made a decision on Chubbles health. We had a very bad night two nights ago.. he was so constipated it made him sick. It was to the point I was about to call the emergency vet near us. He finally passed it and I have put him on a pumpkin in his food diet. After that vomit episode he was resting good and out of nowhere another vomit episode. Hmmm this pattern is looking quite familiar. 7 days on his meds and he gets sick.. EVERYTIME...

He spent the next day so weak and tired he didn't come out of the bedroom. I left him alone other than feeding and petting him occasionally. Yesterday Morning 2 vomiting episodes with 5-6 different places each time..

I am NOT going thru this again with him. So I decided to take him off his thyroid meds. The way I feel about this whole thing and all this poor baby has been thru if the meds were going to help they would of when he was on them for a month to a month and a half. instead of his levels staying the same and not coming down.

I will keep him on his steroids and pain meds if he needs them. I will watch him and look for signs that he is not well and when that day comes I will make the final call that I dread. One of my friends on facebook said it last night that if this might be the best choice as he may of been to far gone when we got him. I think she is right. I do not want his last days being miserable and vomiting all the time.. we got a glimpse of him again when he was off the meds. I WANT IT BACK!!! I miss his silly ways and his spunkiness. I haven't told his vet yet. I will call her tomorrow. I just got to get him back over the hump of getting the meds out of his system again. At least he is now back in the living room with us and not in the bedroom hiding out.

I don't know if this would work for you or not but here goes- about 14 years ago my friend's cat was dx with hypert.

The medication made him violently ill so we took him off it. He was not a candidate for radio cat therapy- and would not have done well being separated from his family. His Mom dumped him on the street when she got two designer cats. Her son and I rescued him and he was doing well - would not have understood being at vet's for long period of time.

We asked the vet what else we could do and he said try and remove thyroid- we did and he lived another three years very happily and went to the Bridge at an advanced age.

I hope Chubbles feels a lot better when those drugs clear his system

Kathy

I'm with Kathy on this one. The stray my sis took in was virtually wasting away due to Hyper T when she found him on her doorstep - he weighed about 5 pounds, heart beating a mile a minute. The surgery needs a skilled set of hands, but is worth a try. Scrounger put back on about 7 pounds and lived another 7 years.

In the same vein- one of the indoor/outdoor kitties had his spleen removed (cancer or lymphoma) and he did well for two years before leaving us.

Kathy

How is Chubbles doing now?

Jamie.K

I have read about the thyroid removal but his vet has yet to even suggest it and she is a cat only vet which makes me wonder.. is she to scared to try for it.. She has mentioned the Dye.. that wont work cause of the girls. The special food.. there again.. that wont work cause of the girls...

I can mention it to her see what she says but I feel her answer is going to be the same thing with his teeth.. My thoughts on putting Chubbs to sleep for any operation (this goes for human as well) If your body gives out on you in surgery and you die.. that is a peaceful way to go as you don't know you died were as facing the suffering of living till dying. If that makes sense to you. I would be willing to chance it for the sakes of helping him.. even the simplest of surgeries something could go wrong and you never make it out.

Chubbles has had a VERY and I can not stress VERY enough.. bad day... He has been vomiting a lot.. refuses to eat .. begs me for food but when I put it before him he just isn't into it..

I gave him half of the last nausea pill I have.. Then a few seconds later my son yells for me that something is wrong with Chubbles.. I look at him he is drooling BAD... I was like oh no.. hes going to vomit the pill up.. Chubbles jumped down from the desk char and ran to a table and that was when I noticed blood in his drool.. I wiped him up and he kept drooling and bleeding.. he even had tears... I told myself if it didn't stop soon that something was bad wrong. I think that he bit his tongue or I may of scrapped his gum with the pill popper when giving the pill.. I think it was more he bit his tongue trying to spit the pill out.. The bleeding finally stopped but my heart fell to my feet as I thought here I am trying to help him but.. I made it worse... He has calmed down after one other vomit episode so far..but he still isn't eating..

I didn't get to talk to Dr. Barh yet she doesn't work till this weekend I did however speak with a vet tech That didn't end very well.. but he did tell me to put Chubbs on 1/8 teaspoon Miralax to help with constipation.

Just taking It day by day

Edited by Spiralweldpipe

In my case, I was the one who asked about removing the thyroid. The vet did not suggest it .

Of course, the issue with anesthesia and other medical issues must always be considered. I had to pass on chemo and or radiation for a cat that could not tolerate anesthesia. He almost died at age six months from getting fixed.

Good luck to you both

Kathy

How is Chubbles doing?

Jamie.K

We have had a rough few days.. but so far so good. He has been hanging out with me a lot recently.. Sometimes its like he cant get comfy in his sleep cause he moves around a lot. I am hoping we are over vomit spells and he is loving whiskas cat food right now..He has been eating lots of dry food too. still taking it one day at a time.

I sure hope he's feeling a lot better soon.

Jamie.K

Sorry it has been so long since I updated. Been a bit crazy here! Old man is doing better..for the time being.. I think we finally got all meds out of his system and he is back to playful chubbles for the time being. Eating well on his Whiskas and just being his sweet self.. Not sure how often I will get to update as I am quite busy at the time being but when I can I will.

Quick update... Still eating good and no vomiting.. No constipation He is just a lounging kitty who smacks the other cats if they get to close to his food... Its pretty funny to see... but we warn them when they start to head his way and he is eating..

"'Willow.. don't go over there.. your going to get whacked..."'

Sure enough...

WHACK....

After the "ol man" whack they sit back and wait till he is done...lol...

Just a little chuckle moment for everyone to enjoy :D

Hope all Is well with everyone!! Take care till next update!!!

This is wonderful news! Thanks for the update.

May Chubbles have many more whacks for his siblings.

Cindy W - IMOM

Hello! Hope all is well!! Chubbs is still holding strong but his weight is really going down.. its hard to see him some days.. but he doesn't show signs he wants to give up... I don't want to make the call yet as I will spend the rest of my life questioning did I make the right move.. (the same thing I still do over my rabbit) I spoke with his vet yesterday. I hung up with a heavy heart :( they don't do surgical thyroid removals cause sometimes it not completely successful and even then its more expensive than the dye... which is 1000 dollars in its self... My heart is crushed.. She said she had one more Idea as she had another patient riding in Chubbs boat of not tolerating the meds and that was a vet in Tennessee that specializes in herbals for kiities.. She was going to call and see if they had any ideas and said she would call back if they gave her any ideas... I never got a call back...

So.. we are a ticking time bomb here and loving Mr Chubbs as much as we can. Till he shows he wants to give up or his body tells him its over.. We are hanging on and fighting it out as much as we can...

Take care everyone till next time!

Edited by Spiralweldpipe

Enjoy every moment you have together. You will know when it is the right time. Such a difficult decision to make (I just had to make it yesterday for my 16 year old kitty), but it is the most generous and courageous thing you will do for Chubbs. Betsy

I'm so sorry to see that Chubbles is not doing well.

What did your vet say about the Radioiodine Therapy? Is that not an option?

Jamie.K

Betsy, I am so sorry to hear about your kitty.

Hugs,

Jamie.K

Sorry Betsy about your baby :( I feel he will tell me when he is ready and he isn't yet...

Jamie its not an option we have other cats :( We cant do the special food either... :( I have also put him back to eating whatever I can get him to eat cause he deserves it. So far.. no reaction to fish... I don't think he is allergic to it.. I think it was all the meds... He still doesn't handle cat treats well.. as he vomits them back up but he is doing well on wet food...no more constipation... well hydrated now and looking good minus losing weight..

We just love on him and play with him as much as he allows and let him be.. :)

I don't know a lot about the iodine treatment, but I'm not sure why your having other cats would affect whether or not Chubbles could have the treatment. It's my understanding that a kitty would be hospitalized/quarantined after the procedure until the iodine is out of his/her system. But like I said, I don't know much about it. And I'm sure your vet knows best.

How is Chubbles doing?

Jamie.K

Edited by Jamie K. - IMOM

Hi

Some kitties do better with the transdermal gel than the pills for hypert.

There is a yahoo group for hypert kitties- you might want to join and see what they have done and how well it worked.

Hoping for the best

Kathy

Kathy he was on the transdermal.. He didn't take to it well either...

I have talked to my mom about the dye thing.. But the funds are not there for us. The vet has told me that the dye itself is a thousand dollar treatment. Very expensive.

As for Chubbles he is ok.. Having a bad day today. He has vomited multiple times and not eating kitty food. I have switched him back to human food for a bit. We are still holding in though.