Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jamie K. - IMOM

Chubbles Eaves - 13-year-old Neutered Kitty with Hyperthyroid, Heart Murmer, Nausea/Vomiting, Peridontal Disease

88 posts in this topic

(((hugs to Jamie))) (((Hugs to the angels too))) THANK YOU!! I will update ASAP..I promise .. I take him in a hour and half.. So scared.. but trying to stay strong!!!

Sending prayers and positive thoughts for Chubbles today and hope it is nothing that can't be treated. :heart:

Judy G.

OK.. Here we go... (bare with any spelling mistakes cause the tears are still flowing)

There is good news and bad...

The ultrasound showed nothing abnormal...

So the vet talked to me about his past (or for as long as we have had him) She said to her this sounds like a totally allergic reaction... to the methimzole and to of all things.. fish.. his fave... She has asked me to stop the methimzole and only give him "human" foods off of fish for a week.. lets see if all this clears up.. then if it does.. we try one or the other for a week and see what happens.. that will tell us.. what is going on...

The sad part... if its the thyroid meds that are making him sick.. with his thyroid being so out of whack his thyroid is going to be his demise.. it will basically take over his whole body.. :( She told me to start getting ready for that day to come... I asked her if he was suffering.. She said to some degree yes... I want to try this first and see what happens... If it is his medicenes doing it .. Then I will love him for a bit longer and make the call to help him to the rainbow bridge If its a food allergy and the meds will work we get to love Chubbs longer...

I also got a good glimpse of his teeth.. OMG they are HORRIBLE!!!!! She said yeah they look pretty painful!! :(

I was sent home with different nausea meds Cerenia I believe it was.. and he was given another steroid shot... So now its just a waiting game.. with fingers crossed lots of prayers and hopefully not to many tears...

THank you all for the prayers and comments.. Your all great...***HUGS TO ALL****

I'm so sorry to hear there isn't better news. Try to hang in there - hopefully, Chubbles is allergic to fish and not the thyroid medication.

I'm keeping Chubbles in my thoughts and prayers.

Jamie.K

4 words this morning...

WOW CAN HE EAT!!!!!!!

He is loving the "human food" we had two vomit episodes yesterday but so far last night and this morning has been good.. he is eating and drinking good.. I have caught him drinking twice...

Heres to looking up so far!! :D

Great! What is he eating?

I got this email which might be of interest to those who have animals whose appetites are "off." I've been dealing with this regarding one of my kitties and thought I'd give this a try...it's for making "bone broth." Interestingly, a few days ago when I was at the grocery store I saw some frozen chicken backs. I thought it would be great to make a stock to add to the chicken that I make for Squirt. I forgot to add it to the shopping cart, and then I got this email. I will be trying this soon. Hope it helps anyone who may be in need of helping their pets increase their appetite and get some much needed vitamins and minerals. http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/12/02/pet-bone-broth.aspx

Diane

Vey told me Lunchmeat turkey or chicken baby foods chicken anything away from fish.. he absolutely is loving hot dogs as well... yes I checked ingreds for onion and garlic spices... maybe I can get him to gain some weight too..or im hoping for it!!!

We cant go to the kitchen unless he is behind us wanting food...lol

Still no vomit today... Im just hoping and praying it stays this way!!

48 plus hours and Chubbs is sill eating and drinking good!!!!

I made him the bone broth and he is loving it... if seems to fill him up longer as well.. I cant say thank you enough for all the help and info everyone sends to me and Chubbs!!

Still keeping my fingers crossed that soon when we start meds back.. he will stay this way..

After I posted my last post.. A couple hours later he vomited :(

He has vomited about 5 times.. :( Other than that it has all been the same..

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this. What does your vet say?

Jamie.K

I was suppose to call vet today but today has been a bad day on my part. I will call them in the morning to see what our next step is.. He has stopped vomiting again.. found it funny the vomiting seemed to start with the bone broth.. He has been scratching at his face again to the point its bleeding.. so I am wondering what is up with that.. I will get with Miss Sandra in the morning and the vet see what they want to do next.. I think the next step will be to get his thyroid meds going again to see if he is allergic to them.. but that is the vets call on that step...

Ill update after I talk with them tomorrow.

Ok We are still taking another week off thyroid meds. The vet is starting him on steroid pills in hopes of helping with the itchy face. She also wants me to put him on food made with rabbit.. (cries) or lamb. I am looking into vitamins for him. I cant bare the thought of feeding my cat or cats rabbit.. :( I got to go look around at Petsmart tomorrow and see what I can find and what I can do for him. Still no vomiting today which is good.. Nothing else to report right now.

I'm sorry to hear that you think the bone broth might have been a problem for Chubbles. Did he eat a lot of it before he started vomiting? Have you noticed any kind of sensitivity or intolerance to chicken?

I'm glad to see that it seems overall he isn't vomiting as much.

I don't know if Petsmart carries rabbit cat food. I think Petco does. We feed both our cats and dogs Nature's Variety Instinct and one of the proteins is rabbit. They also have lamb. What's nice with this line of pet food is that they do not have any gums in it to act as a binding agent. One of my cats is sensitive to the gums added to canned cat food, especially carrageenan. (http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutrition/carrageenan-a-common-pet-food-additive/) She gets a lot of digestive upset....don't know if this could be a concern for Chubbles with any of the additives or fillers.

Hope you have an eventful shopping experience!

Diane

I didn't find any rabbit at petsmart.. I still could not of bought it or fed it to him... That is a big no for me.. I did however find duck and lamb and rice. So I Got a can of each to try on him.

I also got him some senior vitamins today. Thank goodness he loves them and kept them down.

I also had success with getting his steroid pill down him today!! YAY!!! Even his vet says he is a pain when it comes to giving him meds...

He didn't eat a lot of the broth either . I don't know why it just didn't agree with him.

We think his food allergy is with fish.. he has been eating chicken pretty good.. but he is picky about it.. what is he not picky about...lol

Other than that not much more to report on right now.. just having lazy cat days!! :)

I bought a chicken to make that chicken bone broth for my one kitty...I'll see how that goes. I'm just wondering with all the "stuff" that's in the bone broth if that might have even been too rich for Chubbles.

I agree that the dry food probably hurts him. Have you and the vet spoken about possible remedies (slippery elm, aloe vera gel, or the Oratene antiseptic gel) to perhaps help with the mouth sensitivity?

Good luck with the next round of new foods and also identifying the food sensitivities or intolerances and problems digesting foods. That's something that we deal with a lot in our home...

Edited by Animal Luvr

He is on a prescription oral pain relief now. I give it to him every 12 hrs. Three days and success getting his pills down!! Just takes a TON of patience lots of kisses on his little head with it tilted up and quick "shooting" action with the pill popper and holding his head up so he cant spit it out.. I know as mush as he hates the pinning I am sure he loves the kisses.. hopefully as much as I love giving them to him...

He is getting picky about his human foods now.. not eating them.. very frustrating.. Duck was a no go.. the girls liked it him. not so much. Lamb went well.. I will venture out tomorrow to get more lamb. LOTS of touch and go but no vomiting and scratching has calmed down since his steroid. but that's about it for now..

Thanks Animal for the suggestions!! :)

Not much to report. We are still taking the steroid and doing good with it. No vomiting. Not much scratching. I call his vet tomorrow and I think she is going to start him on his thyroid meds again.. *crosses fingers* I hope we don't go back to vomiting.. Ill update after I talk to his vet!

Edited by Spiralweldpipe

Ok so we started back on the thyroid meds yesterday.. So far so good but he has a bad case of clinch jaw as he is being a brat about taking his meds... *sigh* Sometimes it feels like I cant win for losing with him :(

I mentioned that I put him on vitamins the vet was pleased with that..

I mention his eating and she told me we can put him on an appetite stimulate but she doesn't want to throw to much meds at him but if I feel he needs it to let her know..

Its not the appetite that has him bugged its the food options.. and honestly I am running out of them..

I had a sample of Rachael Ray's dry cat food.. he loved it.. the morsels are small and he doesn't have to chew them to much.. now I just have to find the food in my area.. *sigh*

I thought the other night he was going to break the no vomiting record.. but it turned out to be a hair ball.. I don't count that.. So we are still good there.. just hope it doesn't return with the meds... ^crosses fingers*

Oh.. and a bit of good news...

He played with one of my female kitties.. He hasn't done that in a while.. he went bounding after her like he did when we first brought him in.. Although she sat down and looked at him like "'What Is wrong with you???"' But it was good to see that little bound he does.. I just wish I had gotten it on video!!! :)

You mentioned running out of food options...what have you tried, what worked, what didn't work? Sometimes it's not only the protein but the fillers in the food. Are the food grain free?

I know you don't like the idea of rabbit, but you should give it a try...there are things that I don't like giving my pets, but when it comes down to eating or not eating, I go for eating, even if it means it's something that I'm not nuts about.

With my kitty that has IBD I've recently come across a food that she just seems to love (for now, at least ;-) ). She is sensitive to gums in food, but this food has only one gum in it, and it seems to be low on the radar for digestive upsets or diarrhea. The manufacturer is Party Animal (http://www.partyanimalpetfood.com). My three other cats seem to like this food, and one doesn't (but she's a really finicky Siamese). So, four out of five isn't bad.

Still keeping paws crossed for a good outcome on the thyroid meds...

Diane

Edited by Animal Luvr

I sure hope Chubbles will stay spit-up free. Poor thing's been through so much. I'm glad Chubbles is doing a little better.

Jamie.K

Edited by Jamie K. - IMOM