Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jamie K. - IMOM

Chubbles Eaves - 13-year-old Neutered Kitty with Hyperthyroid, Heart Murmer, Nausea/Vomiting, Peridontal Disease

88 posts in this topic

Chubbles Eaves is a 13-year-old neutered kitty with hyperthyroid, heart murmur, nausea/vomiting, and severe periodontal disease. Chubbles' Mom was able to get Chubbles to a vet for an initial exam, X-rays, bloodwork, and medications, but she needed help with ongoing bloodwork. Thanks to the wonderful IMOM Angels, we were able to pledge $79.84 to help with additional bloodwork on April 17.

post-9302-0-66743200-1398358082_thumb.jp

Chubbles is a very sick kitty and needs to be stabilized and have his thyroid stabilized before he is able to have his dental surgery. Chubbles' Mom has worked very hard to raise funds for the care Chubbles has had so far. Here is what she has to say about her Chubbles: "This past December before Christmas he came up on our porch and he was so skinny from starvation, he had been hit or beaten, and you could tell he needed medical attention. So now we have Chubbles who is approximately 13 years old and we know nothing of his past. We just touch Chubbles and he starts purring and he chatters that why we call him Chubbles."

Chubbles' Mom has been posting in her Introduction thread here: http://www.imom.org/...rg/...c=10123 Please be sure and go there and read what she's written about her baby.

We thank you for your donations to the General Fund. Without your donations, we would not have been able to let this sweet senior have a chance at being saved. Our emergency fund is quite low right now, and we can't thank you enough - we can't extend these grants without your contributions to the General Fund.

To donate to the General Fund please go to: http://www.imom.org/...on/index.htm#gf

Thank you for helping Chubbles.

Edited by Jamie K. - IMOM

As I said earlier today there isn't much to report.. He is being Picky Gus with food today! I don't like these days they can be frustrating when he doesn't want to eat something he has eaten before and loved!!! I packed him and his sister up today and took them out side while I worked on the fleas.. I think I got them licked.. so far no bites... no hop ons.. no scratching and no flea poop on the cats!!! SCORE!!! Chubbles seemed relieved not to be traveling in his carrier...he stayed pretty quiet.. but wasn't very happy :( That's about all for today.. its just been a very calm day.

Chubbles is so adorable! I sure hope he improves soon.

Jamie.K

Hi...refresh my ailing memory, please. I remember you saying that Chubbles got an increase in thyroid medication, right? Is he on anything for pain, or getting antibiotics for his mouth?

When does he get checked again for his thyroid levels?

Edited by Animal Luvr

Update: We had a rough couple of days.. Vomiting..not eating.. same things over and over. I was happy today that with dinner I had to open up two cans of tuna in water.. as the vet suggested give him the water off the tuna.. he LOVED IT... licked the bowl till it was clean.. I mean so clean you could reuse it..lol .. Made me feel better.. We have been taken it easy and just letting him do as he wanted... He actually also got a little playful the other day but didn't last long and laid down panting :( Scared me a bit.. I turned down our air hoping it will help and even more hoping maybe his vomiting might be due to his getting to hot or something... I have never dealt with a senior cat so its a trial and error thing... We go next week for testing again... be glad when it gets here.. cause my gut feeling says this med is not working :(

@Animal.. yes his meds got increased to a 3/4 a tablet. He has pain meds for his mouth I use as a need be...when I feel he is in pain I give him dose or when he is drooling REALLY bad I will give him a dose.

I'm wondering if you are able to work with Chubbles' mouth applying either a slippery elm solution, aloe vera gel, or Oratene antiseptic gel to the gums may help with the sore mouth, toothache, abscesses. The first two are "holistic" remedies, the latter is a "traditional" one.

If you try slippery elm (which is also good for tummy upset) make a paste with water and put it on the affected area I.

Kathy

I was thinking about the heart murmur....

I've had several kitties with heart murmurs, and I had given them supplements for their heart.

The two that I have used are Coq10, 10 mg., from Vetri-Science, and Feline Cardiac Support from Standard Process. Coq10 is a pretty standard supplement, and the general guideline is 10 mg. per 10 lbs. of body weight. Not only is coq10 good for heart health, it is also good for periodontal health. The one kitty who gets it now is just under 8 lbs., and I give her 1/2 capsule a day added to her food.

A number of our pets also get Bio-Dent from Standard Process. There are several benefits for this supplement, including helping teeth.

Hope some of this info helps.

Diane

Edited by Animal Luvr

Where Do I find the Slippery Elm? He vomits a lot... mostly foam.. But he will vomit his treats or dry food occasionally. I have been giving him the water off a can of tuna once a day.. It helps my feelings knowing he is getting some hydration in him. He does not however get the tuna although I know he would be in heaven but our can tuna is not good for him! :( (or any cat for that matter)

He has been real pukey lately. I cant help but think it all falls back to his meds. He has transitioned from sleeping on the bakers rack shelf to a desk chair now to the floor.. Kinda weird that he is going from sleeping high up to on the ground. Vomiting occurs at least 2 times a day. When his new vet saw him almost a month ago She prescribed him regalan (spelling sorry) he will not for the life of him take it. Must taste horrible. This was prescribed for the vomiting. When he does vomit and afterwards I will lay or sit beside him and his little tummy just sounds so fluid filled.. its pitiful!!!

Eating is the same with him. One minute.. Oh I LOVE Meow Mix Whitefish Pate with Shredded Tuna 4 hours later.. LADY ARE YOU KIDDING ME... and walks away from it.. (he gets half the can at each feeding going up to two and a half cans a day) of course I change out his flavors all the time that is just an example of what I deal with and his reaction! When he really feels pukey he wont touch it which makes for fun getting his meds down..

I just want him well and a healthy cat!!! Its sad to see him this way :(

Hi

First of all reglan is not good for anyone (including people ! ) It has a black box warning from the FDA- can cause irreversible symptoms. It also does not work very well.

ItAlways a good idea to check out medication before giving it. Metacam is deadly for cats.

If you want to use a prescription med- ask for onadestron. Dosage is very small- maybe 1/8 of a pill for a kitty.

Slippery elm bark is a fluffy powder- maybe check out Whole foods if you have one close or a health food store.

Try elevating the food and water bowls so he does not have to bend over.

Frequent small meals are better.

Check out this site for information on symptoms and options for treatment -it is a crf site but lots of good stuff here.

http://www.felinecrf.org

Go to symptoms section and check it out. This is an issue for many crf kitties.

Also get unflavored gel caps - small ones- to put meds into.

Good luck

Kathy

Yes, slippery elm could be good for Chubbles. I've gotten mine from amazon (Nature's Way brand), but I like the idea of using a "bulk" slippery elm since the ingredients are fewer than in the capsules. Here's a link about using slippery elm: http://www.littlebig...h/slippery-elm/

Slippery elm gets very thick and gels up quite a bit, so make sure enough water is added to make it viscous.

The homeopathic arsenicum album is another remedy I use when our pets vomit. The dose I use is 30c. I use one pellet with a very small amount of water and let the energy of the pellet mix with the water...then I use a small oral syringe and squirt it in the mouth. I've also used an eye dropper and even a plastic spoon to get the solution in the mouth. You don't need a lot because you're working with the energy of the pill.

I would not give dry food as it probably is also hard on the digestive system right now.

Why not give some tuna? No, you don't want to make a meal out of it, but a little scooby snack food topper sprinkled on top may help kick start his eating. I've recently read the "best" type of tuna is skipjack...supposedly has the least amount of mercury in it compared to the other tunas, like albacore.

I may have missed this, but when does Chubbles get re-tested for his thyroid levels?

Diane

P.S.: How's Chubbles' hydration? B vitamins?

Edited by Animal Luvr

Have you ever tried using Nutri-Cal for Chubbles? It's available at pet stores. It is a paste-like formula to help kitties get extra calories in their diet when they are not feeling well.

Moist food with water to make it more lickable may help...stinky foods...warming the food also can make food more appetizing.

Also what Kathy said about feeding much smaller meals more frequently and elevating the pet food dishes.

I've found that my cats do not like eating from bowls, so I use small plates.

Edited by Animal Luvr

He has pain meds for his mouth I use as a need be...when I feel he is in pain I give him dose or when he is drooling REALLY bad I will give him a dose.

Here's another thought...give Chubbles the pain meds as suggested by the vet rather when you think he may need it. It can be difficult to tell when animals are in pain since they are so good at masking it. If they are in pain they will not want to do things like eat.

Also, from the human perspective, my husband was prescribed pain meds to be taken every 4-6 hours for a recent surgery he had. The instructions said it was important to take them on time to stay more comfortable, and not to skip doses and then take after the pain is severe. This could be the same here...if Chubbles is more comfortable, he may be more interested in eating. If using the slippery elm, make sure to space the meds out from the slippery elm.

If it were me, I would probably give the slippery elm first via oral syringe to help coat the digestive tract. Then after an hour (or whatever is suggested by the folks who write the articles about this herb), I would follow up with the food and then the pain med. What kind of pain med does Chubbles have? Pill form?

Also, my experience in seeing my cats moving from higher elevations to lower ones gives me an indication of how well they are feeling.

Hope some of this info is helpful.

Diane

Hi

That sounds like good advice. Managing pain is important - pain begets more pain. After too much time in pain, the brain may perceive pain even when there is none (example phantom limb pain). Pain meds can have side effects so maybe give them with food.

For now, I would try to get Chubbles to eat - eating is important !

Kathy

Ahhh, another idea...Squirt, my sweet sixteen kitty who has IBD, is having her bout now with not wanting to eat. She loves chicken. What seems to be working to get her back to eating is cooking boneless, skinless chicken breasts in water. I save the water, which is basically fat free. Then, I pull the chicken (just like pulled chicken) but then cut it in shorter lengths. I add the cooked water to the pulled chicken to make it moist but not super soggy. She loves it. This can be easily warmed, too, which can be more appetizing than feeding cold food from the fridge.

I've also gotten some commercial canned chicken (Wellness brand chicken and herring, Weruva brand Paw Lickin' Chicken, and Tiki Cat brand Puka Puka Luau). She seems to like it, and I've even mixed in the chicken and herring with "my" chicken.

Squirt does have some digestive issues with gums in the moist cat foods (like chicken and herring) but right now I'm giving her little amounts...just enough to make the food interesting...and then supplementing her with pumpkin and primadophilus and some other anti-inflammatory remedies for the digestive concerns.

Does Chubbles like chicken? Maybe this could be an option of working with chicken-based foods (or whatever protein he most likes).

Diane

OOOOOF so much from all of you... THANK YOU first off.. bare with me while I try my best to answer it all...

Chubbs Hydration comes and goes.. I have been giving him tuna water so I know he is getting water down him.. He loves the tuna water and drinks all of it.. I have even had success in getting him to take his meds this way.. I know nothing about his B levels... :(

Chubbles goes back and forth on food brands.. It can be 9 Lives Friskies Fancy Feast or Meow Mix (all wet foods) Regardless of which brand he is dealing at the time.. each feeding I give him half a can and every 4 hours at that.. So amount size isn't the problem however.. He is already skin and bones and losing more and more weight.. When I think he is gaining I learn he is in fact losing..

Chubbs is not a poultry cat he loves fishy stuff.. Salmon is his most fave.. Salmon and Shrimp classic Fancy Feast is a HUGE hit.. Then Savory Salmon Then whitefish.. Cod Shrimp and sole is another one he really loves but to be honest... that one reallllllly turns my stomach it smells HORRIBLE!!! I have been thinking maybe see if I could get him a cheap salmon filet and cook it for him.. see if maybe he is having a food allergy but I have NO idea how to cook salmon as I am not a fish eater..

He is hopefully going back to the vet on Monday for thyroid check.. I had a LONG.. and I do mean a good 30 minute chat with his vet on the phone today about his vomiting.. He had a really really really bad day today.. Starting at 5 am full on vomiting off and on all day long.. 4-6 times each vomit session.. I told his vet I thought it could be his thyroid meds making him sick.. She said that the only other options that are left for treatment of his Thyroid is the dye and a special food on for him that he couldn't eat anything but this food and the other cats would have to stay out of it.. With These options are not feasible as for the dye.. the price.. wholly cow.. a thousand dollars.. omg.. the food.. As you have seen my complain about he is all over the place with food.. and my other cats.. one being raised by me since she was 3 weeks old are use to having food out at their disposal 24 hours a day.. I couldn't keep taking it away from them.. and all the cats like to switch between the food so that just wouldn't work either. She also suggested that he could have a GI Tract problem we do not know of.. Meds could be given for that and I told her meds were given for it.. She said they could teach me how to pop the pills in his mouth.. I told her this is my problem.. you vets how me how its done in the office..I get home and start to do what they show me and he spazs out and things don't go so well and with him being as I said skin and bones I fear I will seriously hurt him. He is not like the girls I do fear hurting them near as much as I do him.. I think they want to see him as a patient appointment Monday as well.. Something needs to be done to help him.. There has to be another thyroid med for cats other than methmazole. I have seen a couple of people at least on here complain about that med. I just have a feeling his Thyroid levels haven't came down by much and I wont let them ut him back on 5mg of that med cause he reallllly nose dived on 5mg..

I will look into the slippery elm and all your suggestions to see what I can do for Chubbs.. I just want to see him happy his last days/years (hoping more years)

Thank you for feed back and help.. your ladies/gentlemen are great!!!!!

Edited by Spiralweldpipe

Same ol Same ol.. Got a Vet appointment Tomorrow morning.. as soon as I know anything I will update... other than that not much new to report...still vomiting still icky :(

All the best with the appointment tomorrow. I hope things can be sorted out quickly so Chubbles will be feeling better, and so you can also rest easier. Hugs.

Diane

OK Chubbs Update :(

Took old man Chubbles in today. They think he is allergic to the methmazole (spelling) which is something I have been saying for a while now.. His teeth had some inflammation going on. So they gave him a steroid shot, nausea shot, b12 shot, antibiotic shot, Taking him off of the methmazole and putting him on one that I have to get from the pharmacy and apply to his ear. He was also given fluids. As always he has lost weight heartbeat is still high. That is all that was done this round. I just wish we could get him fixed this is so hard to watch and witness.

We play it by ear I guess and hope for the best.. They also kept him on the Reglan and I have pill pockets to hopefully get them down easier.. just have to see...

Thanks Diane for the well wishes and hugs... sending a hug back your way!!

Thank you all for the support and advice.. and giving me a place to come vent..

Hugs to all Ill update in a couple of days!!

Please ask the vet to give you onadestron instead of reglan for the nausuea/etc.

My friend had an older cat with hypter that could not tolerate the medication either. We decided against radio cat for many reasons. This was years ago (14) - finally had the vet remove the thyroid and kitty lived to another two years to age 18 with no problems. NOt sure if that is even an option anymore .

Kathy

I'm sorry to hear there isn't better news. I hope Chubbles will soon start to feel better. Sending prayers your way.

Jamie.K

I am just heartbroken at this moment.. I am trying to think positive and say he is going to be ok...

He did so good after his visit on Monday.. We got his new meds yesterday which is still methimozole. I called back the vet telling them I thought they said he was allergic to it but here I am buying it again.. in a compound to go in his ear.. I was then told I heard wrong. They said they thought the medicine was upsetting his tummy and they have other cats who thrive on this compound that I put in his ear.. When I hung up the phone I looked at my daughter and asked her if I lost my hearing or did they say he was allergic to this medicine (she was with me at this appointment) she too heard them say he was allergic.. Sooo.. I say lets give it a go..

Starting late last night early this morning.. I get woken up to him vomiting again.. and again.. and again.. I call back the lady I deal with at this vet and tell her he isn't doing well.. I am given some suggestions and she goes back and talks to the vet.. I get a call back that the vet wants to do x rays.. I tell her we just did x rays 6 weeks ago.. she says they are going to pull up the x rays and check them again.. (this is the part that has me upset right now and in total tears) I was told six weeks ago that his x rays were good but his kidney looks enlarged . We weren't going to worry about that for now.. today I get a call back Vet says his bowels were full of fecal matter and looks like a mass or something on his kidney.. they aren't enlarged. Now they want to do an ultrasound on him.. All I can think is ... What if.. No.. He is going to be FINE... but.. what if.. NO he will be FINE.... BUT WHAT IF.... its a constant battle in my head and heart...

The sweet lady at the vet has called Miss Jamie and asked for help.. I am awaiting her answer and in the mean time trying to keep a calm composure and positive thoughts...

A;sp I must add Chubbs isn't eating much today either.. Not much baby food.. I would say less than an ounce amd half a 3 oz can of Fancy Feast.. this has been since breakfast time at 6 am EST and its 7 30pm EST now... :( this isn't looking to good.... I can just pray and try to stay positive..so not ready to let this baby go...

I'm so sorry Chubbles is not doing well, and I hope they get to the bottom of the cause soon and that he'll be all right..

Thanks to the Angels who donate to our General Fund, IMOM is able to pledge $197.52 so Chubbles can have his ultrasound and a Cerenia injection.

Sending healing thoughts your way for poor Chubbles. Please let us know how the ultrasound goes. :heart:

Jamie.K

Edited by Jamie K. - IMOM