Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jamie K. - IMOM

Squirrel Davis - Kitty with Pyometra and Urethral Obstruction

129 posts in this topic

Fred, you're both in my thoughts and prayers and wishing you all the very best...paws crossed for a surgery and recovery that will go swimmingly.

What state are you in?

Diane

I am in Virginia Animal Luvr.

I should be sleeping but I can't. I am somehow MORE nervous now than when this all first started.

I don't believe in coincidence, and the fact that this is all happening on Easter Sunday, that you call your volunteers and those who make donations "angels" and my constant prayers seeming to have all come to pass is not lost on me. I owe a great many people more than I could ever repay (and in more than just dollars) and can only believe that there is a greater power at work here.

I once again, humbly thank you all.

May whatever God, Gods, Goddesses you follow...or just plain old human kindness, bless you for all your days!

I will keep you updated as I myself receive any information.

Edited by Fred.Davis.1126

She was just admitted. They are going to call me before and after surgery. I'll let you all know how it goes. Keep those prayers and well-wishes coming. Squirrel Butt is a very strong kitty if the last week and change is any indication... but she can still use our help.

This wouldn't have been possible without you folks, and I can never thank you enough.

I haven't slept in what feels like ages, and I almost fell asleep at the wheel coming home. Gonna nap and then I'll update again.

Heading for the airport to fly back to work. Continuous prayers coming your way. I'll be checking in tonight.

Be strong Princess Squirrel Butt.

Hope we hear something soon. I hope Squirrel is doing okay! My thoughts are with you and your kitty!

--Jaz

I just called the vet - Squirrel is being prepped for surgery as I type and should be in surgery in the next 15 - 30 minutes. Let's cross all paws for a successful outcome.

Pacing, Pacing, Pacing but know this one could take a while. Hope all is progressing well, and keeping up the prayers for our Virginia buds.

Sending white light and healing purrs from the Magical Beach Kitties

And - you know that the Bridge Kid Brigade with Magic in the lead is there watching over Squirrel

Kathy

Sorry it took so long for me to update. I just got the post-op call about 30 minutes ago.

Obviously, she needs time to heal to be sure that she is fully recovered but with that being said:

She had her surgery today, she "responded well" to it. Her blood pressure dropped a bit during surgery, but the doctor says this is pretty normal and that they were able to regulate it and that it isn't a concern.

Her uterus was removed and will be biopsied and such to determine if the fluid may be sterile meaning a "hydrometra" or... some other type of "metra" other than pyrometra.

Her bladder is "extremely inflamed" and they wanted to do a culture but were afraid that touching it at all may cause it to not heal. A "bridge we can cross later if need be." For now it is most important to let her heal.

They are pretty confident the inflammation is related to her uterus and the fact that she had a blockage which caused her bladder to be very, very distended. It is no longer distended and she is urinating on her own. There is very little blood in her urine now and they think this too will ultimately be found to be related to her infection.

She didn't need the transfusion. EDIT: As far as I know, I had a lot of information thrown my way in a very short amount of time. I'll check on this in relation to what I have said below the line on this post. I was charged for the transfusion.

Her kidney function is now "normal" and was that way prior to surgery.

I may be able to pick her up tomorrow. EDIT: Again, I'll add this to the list of things to follow up on in relation to the information I posted below the line. I was charged for 2 days of after care.

I can't give thanks enough to those who helped or supported Squirrel.

Squirrel is alive, mostly due to the good will of complete stangers. I will never forget the day "the Internet saved my cat."

I am not sure what to think about the billing. They didn't perform "emergency surgery" as she had been there for 20 hours prior to going under the knife. They had already told me there would be a fee for having her stay there the night even if surgery was postponed. As it stands though, they are still charging me the $400 or so dollars for the emergency fee.

Their reasoning may be that the surgery didn't start until after 2pm (when their fees kick in) but as I said..20 hours she was there.

I don't want to complain as they absolutely saved her life, but that money could be better put to use here in this community minus a very small amount which I'd use to buy a small gift or card for one particular friend of mine who made a huge contribution to her surgery.

I ran my own company for a while years back and we had a moderate success. I know how to talk business to business and person to person. Yet for some reason I feel this ominous sensation whenever I think about asking them to refund me the emergency fee.

Thoughts?

MORE EDITS!

Other than being a miracle for which I am so grateful I would not be able to express it... I am also trying to wrap my head around how the chain of events went like this:

1. She is going to die, you should put her down.

2. Her outlook is grim and we don't think she'll make it but here are your options. If she somehow manages to survive she'll probably never urinate on her own.

3. She's not getting much better, we have to get more aggressive with our treatment. Her kidneys and liver are issues. Many different problems with both.

4. With no change in treatment due to lack of funds.. she is suddenly getting better. "Her levels are dropping, but she is still very very sick. She needs surgery in 2 days, tomorrow if we want the best hope. She will need a transfusion, we are the only hospital in the area capable of doing this." They were, in fact the only hospital that could offer the transfusion and this was confirmed by calling just about every animal hospital in VA and many in MD and DC.

4.5 I take her home that night. When I pick her up, she has urinated several times. She is eating. She is meowing and being feisty.

5. -5- days later, her levels are all normal. She isn't bleeding any where near as much and "I don't think the transfusion will be necessary". Her kidneys are absolutely normal. Her liver is normal. Her operation was "free of complications".

All great news, but again... outside of a miracle, and I am 100% fine with just considering it as such.. how could their initial assessment be so dire and their post-op follow-up be so drastically different?!

Edited by Fred.Davis.1126

Fred ~ THANK YOU for giving us an update. I was feeling pretty pessimistic about the whole thing (uncommon for me as my nickname is Polly Anna), so thank you for letting us know how your girl is doing.

My take -- pick your battles. Right now, you've got enough on your plate nursing your baby girl back to health. Maybe your IMOM caseworker can inquire about the refund. Put it out of your mind for now. Just my opinion. :)

Edited by kuhio98

I'm with Lisa about the charges. Things change anyway...let them refigure the bill and then perhaps involve IMOM if necessary.

Are they suggesting any medication, supplements, remedies, or food for Squirrel's bladder? My one sister's kitty had lots of problems with bladder issues. They ended up giving her cosequin for cats. Even though it is for arthritis it was also shown to be beneficial for the urinary system...I guess the anti-inflammatory helped in a number of ways.

As far as the initial prognosis and ultimate outcome...just review the post you made prior to the surgery about the signs and symbols you've acknowledged. To that, let me make a simple suggestion...get a white candle, light it and say "thank you," and let the candle burn itself out. If you need to leave or blow the candle out for any reason, make a wish. I usually wish the very best for me and mine. Then I will relight the candle when appropriate. My healing candles are still burning, so I will also light a white one for thanks. ;-)

Blessings and all the best to you and yours.

Diane

Squirrel seems to be a bit of a Medical Mystery Kitty. We've got a couple like that who delight in proving the vet wrong. :) Cats do like to be contrary, don't they? Pepper was not supposed to live but a year or so and she's going on 10. Cammie was supposed to dead of kidney failure by Christmas and s he's still going strong.

Yes, I think your girl is enjoying watching the vet eat his own words. :)

Edited by kuhio98

I'm so relieved to hear Squirrel is okay! I was growing quite concerned as well.

Sometimes things just happen in the right way at the right time and all we can do is say "thanks" to whatever force of the universe you favor.

As for the vet being wrong, I think that may be a matter of the commonality factor. So many times they've seen pets in dire straits, with similar blood results and vitals and they know it is very likely that the pet simply won't make it. Then there are those wonderful rare times they are proven wrong. When my Bandit was diagnosed with cancer, the vets were certain it was malignant--mouth cancer almost always is. They didn't really believe the test results that said it wasn't. They kept preparing me for worst case, that although this is what the tests indicate, that I should prepare myself for the worst, that the tests might be wrong, etc. Bandit is one of their wonder cats, as I'm sure Squirrel is now for those vets.

Regarding the bill, first focus on Squirrel. Then, once your head is in the game, ask them to walk through the bill just so you're clear on everything that occurred and was done for Squirrel, because you were given so much information when you were not really in a place to understand it all. I'm sure they'll be happy to walk through and explain each item that was billed and you can clarify what you believe they told you versus reality versus billing. And it's not beyond the realm that someone simply made an error. These fees were expected, so these fees were charged sort of thing without doing a double check.

Again, yay! I'm so happy for you and Squirrel!

I too am relieved. I was checking every 15 minutes for hours.

Worry about the bill later.

Take care of yourself and Squirrel.

Oh, by the way, it's time to breathe and get some well deserved sleep while Squirrel is at the hospital. ;-)

Oh, by the way, it's time to breathe and get some well deserved sleep while Squirrel is at the hospital. ;-)

I'll do the breathing and sleeping once she is home... I miss her little fuzzy head.