Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jamie K. - IMOM

Squirrel Davis - Kitty with Pyometra and Urethral Obstruction

129 posts in this topic

Diagnosis: Pyometra and Urethral Obstruction

Treatment: Surgery, Post-op care, possible transfusion, bloodwork monitoring

Low end of estimate: $5852

Owner contribution: $3300 (Owner has already spent $4000, some of which has not been paid for yet and borrowed $2500 of his $3300 contribution)

Needed for low end of the estimate: $2552

4% for IMOM operating expenses: $102

Our fund raising goal: $2654

Spayed/Neutered: No

Caseworker: Jamie K.

Squirrel is at All Funds Raised! Donations no longer needed.

post-9302-0-56559300-1397838938_thumb.jp

Squirrel is a very sick 5-6 yo kitty. Squirrel's Dad adopted her from a rescue group when she was a kitten. Surgery will not be routine because she has clotting issues and is anemic. Treatment already provided: IV fluids, antibiotics, appetite stimulants, manual expression of bladder, 24/7 monitoring. Squirrel had to be discharged because her Dad ran out of funds and resources. Squirrel is a very sick kitty and needs surgery as soon as possible. Squirrel's Dad has worked SO hard to take care of his baby - he has applied to numerous organizations and contacted lots of different vets for a lower estimate, and started a fundraiser, and has raised a lot of funds on his own, but he has pretty much exhausted all available resources. Squirrel needs our help.

Here is what Squirrel's Dad has to say about his baby: "Squirrel Butt is my best friend. She is the sweetest cat I've ever known. She recently had a urinary blockage but didn't show any symptoms until suddenly when she began holding her head oddly and convulsing. I rushed her to a local vet that said she had no chance. I then took her to an emergency center where they said she does...if she gets the infected uterus removed. It will not be routine spaying though as she has clotting issues and is anemic. Needs a transfusion."

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; note for Squirrel Davis. If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate Squirrel’s name when making your donation.

Thank you all so much!

Edited by Jamie K. - IMOM

Squirrel's dad has made wonderful progress so far. AND he even managed to scrape together some money to help out Bambi. Great job! I'll get the ball rolling with a $50 matching challenge.

Yay - a $50 Matching Challenge! Thank you so much Janice! Do we have any takers? Poor Squirrel is not doing well. And, yes, her Dad has made remarkable progress towards her care. Can you pleas help Squirrel? If you're unable to donate, please share on all your social media sites so we can get the word out to more people.

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; note for Squirrel Davis. If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate Squirrel's name when making your donation.

Thank you all so much!

Yeah ! Squirrels going to get help ! Calling all Angels- this baby needs help right away.

Off to share Squirrel's fundraising page

Kathy

Here are some pictures of my Squirrel Girl:

When she was healthy: http://imgur.com/a/riz5J#0

In Treatment: http://imgur.com/a/zhBlz#0

I don't even know how to thank you all for your efforts thus far.

There is still a ways to go, but she deserves nothing less than my best effort.

I would love to share her whole story with you but time is of the essence here. I will certainly do so once she is healthy, I plan to be a contributing member of this community.

Suffice it to say, she is my best friend. I've had over 20 cats in my lifetime, and I've loved them all. There has never been a kitty like Squirrel. She follows me everywhere and gives me "kitty magic" to help me through tough times. It's time for me to give her back some of that magic.

She had a blockage in her bladder but presented no symptoms until it was almost too late. She was on death's door when I took her to the local vet and they recommended putting her down almost instantly. I couldn't do it. I called out of work and rushed her to an emergency hospital where they told me her chances were slim, but not impossible. Great news!

The hospital is great and everyone there is extremely professional and full of empathy. They have done so much for her already. Everything they said would likely not improve, has improved.

She is intact due to false assumptions on my part. She has an allergy of unknown origin and they didn't want to spay her until we determined what that allergy was. A $3000 test has simply always been out of my budget. When I thought "the worst that can happen is I have to deal with a...randy kitty" I just put off the spaying indefinitely.

Now I know the dangers. She has an infected uterus which they believe may be pyrometra. I say "believe" because there are signs that it is in fact pyometra, but she is also absent of other indicators. Either way, she needs her infected parts removed surgically. Everything they think is wrong with her seems to be related to it.

Unfortunately this will not be a routine surgery. She has clotting issues and is anemic. The Hope Advanced Veterinary Center is confident they can perform the surgery, and can provide a transfusion of plasma to help with her clotting.

They recommended surgery "in no more than 2 days"... 3 days ago. So she needs all the help she can get.

I'm at work, posting while dodging managers..haha. I will post more as I am able.

Thanks again for any help you can give!

Janice, I'll be happy to take your $50 challenge...so get that $$$ sent in! ;-)

Angels, let's get this girl the help she needs NOW! Thank you. This donation is being made in memory of Frisky Olive. :heart:

Diane

Edited by Animal Luvr

Wow! In my rush to make sure I posted about my Squirrel Butt, I neglected to notice just how thorough Jamie K's post was. I'll leave my post anyway.

As I've nothing else to do at the moment (I am efficient at my job heh) and the suits are away for a moment I will tell you a little about Squirrel.

The Beginning:

I adopted Squirrel from a local rescue operation. While I am eternally grateful for the chance to have met her, I originally intended to adopt an older kitty. When I walked in the door, she and her sister were the only two kittens. All the other cats were older. They were all covered completely in fleas. The rescue organization was extremely understaffed and seemed to be operating exclusively with funding from their own pocket.

They admired my desire to adopt an older cat but asked if I could handle two younger cats instead, as they didn't have the resources to commit to those two who appeared at the time to have been just old enough to open their eyes.

I will admit to you that I was a bit hesitant. They needed to be bottle fed for a couple of months and with all the fleas and the general condition of the facility she was housed in, I was concerned. Still, I ultimately decided to go for it. A volunteer came to inspect my home and give me tips on kitten-proofing as well as all the little things they would need, being so young.

Life with a Squirrel Girl:

Squirrel's sister, Styx is a great kitty. She is 100% independent though and doesn't much like humans...lol. That's putting it mildly, but I give her the same love I give to Squirrel. The difference is that Squirrel gives even more love back!

The two kitties don't fight but they don't exactly love one another either. That didn't stop Squirrel from scratching at the back door incessantly until I finally decided to see what all the fuss was about. Turns out her sister had gotten out somehow (still trying to figure that one out) and managed to climb to the very top of a tree.

Squirrel had no interest in joining her and made no effort to run when I opened the door. I'm positive she was just trying to tell me to help her sister.

We have several almost daily routines which include, her hiding in a pile of clean towels to leap out at me when I go to grab one, sitting on my clothes before I put them on fresh from the dryer to make sure I get just the right amount of kitty hair on them, spinning around exactly three times before plopping down to sleep on my chest (every single night) and other silly kitty stuff.

She's skittish around other people but quick to develop friendships. Everyone I know, and everyone at the Hope Advanced Veterinary Center loves her. All the doctors and staff knew exactly who she was any time I had to call.

She is the most head-butt prone kitty ever. She is a love bug!

She won't eat food that is more than 10 minutes old on her plate. She only drinks water from a fountain. She has standards haha.

She loves to hide in low places and attack my feet. Never anyone else's feet. Just mine.

Currently

She is currently home so that I can save some of the money I was spending on her hospitalization,in hopes of putting it toward her surgery. She is obviously not well as indicated by her staying in the same room since coming back. Normally she is all over the place, following me or just sitting and staring at me. She has gone to her litterbox more often than I've ever seen and I am not sure she is actually peeing. The vet taught me to feel her bladder and assess how full it is and it seems empty. I am hoping she will be able to urinate on her own, and the doctors say she was before she left... but I will help her with that for the rest of her life if need be.

She is leaning into my pets and purring. Cleaning herself, flipping upside down as she likes to do and was not for a while prior to being checked in to the hospital. See this, from a year or so ago as an example: http://imgur.com/lD6GSXM

She almost seems "normal" but I know how sick she is. I have lost pets in the past due to age but managed to avoid ever having a sick pet. It is never easy, but this has been harder than just about anything I've ever dealt with. She is literally my best friend. I would give my own health in exchange for hers if I were able.

Thanks for caring and thanks for any help.

Edited by Fred.Davis.1126

FUND UPDATE: Squirrel has $355 in donations and needs $2299 more!

Janice G's $50 Matching Challenge has been met!

Squirrel has a second $100 Matching Challenge in loving memory of Humphrey from an anonymous donor - $80 of Humphrey's Matching Challenge has been met!

Squirrel has a third $25 Matching Challenge in loving memory of Ozzie from an anonymous donor!

Note: The matches for all 3 Matching Challenges have already been sent in and are included in the total of $355. Thank you!

Thank you ALL so much! Thank you Janice for your Matching Challenge, Squirrel's anonymous donors for the Matching Challenges in memory of Humphrey and Ozzie, Diane for the donation in memory of Frisky Olive, and everyone else who has donated so far. With 3 Matching Challenges and donations already coming in, we're off to a great start! I've been trying to post a Fund Update but every time I start to, another donation comes in - yay!! Thank you so much everyone! I know this is a lot to raise, but I'm confident we'll be able to do it. Squirrel has been hanging in there through treatment so far, but until funds are raised, she is unable to have further treatment/surgery. Without surgery - and soon - she won't make it. If you're unable to donate, please share on all your social media sites so we can get the word out to more people.

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; note for Squirrel Davis. If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate Squirrel's name when making your donation.

Thank you all.

Edited by Jamie K. - IMOM

You've brought me to tears with your generosity. All of you.

Thank you so, so much. I've been so worn out the last few days, staying up ALL NIGHT to try to raise funds or just find alternatives. I haven't eaten much and people are actually concerned about me. I tell them if it were a human, or THEIR pet they would likely be doing the same things. I would never be able to live with it if I was not sure that I had done every single thing in my power to help her. If she were able, I know for sure she'd do the same for me.

What a beautiful girl! Angels I know deep down that we can do this as I've seen miracles here too many times to count. The dedication of this community is so inspiring! Let's get Squirrel the help she needs.

Any amount helps, you can also help this sweet girl by sharing her story! http://tinyurl.com/lppczl8

Thank you Kris :) Thank you all!

She's sleeping soundly on my bed right now and as much as I want her on my lap and to just be with me, I am going to let her rest.

Wow, the link to Squirrel's picture looks like she is the centerfold in Play Cat...;-)

Angels, please...let's get Squirrel the help she needs lickity split so she back in those great kitty cat poses.

Diane

Fred and Squirrel ~ So glad IMOM accepted your case. Donation on its way.

Love those photos, even the "purrrrrno" one. :)

Fred and Squirrel ~ So glad IMOM accepted your case. Donation on its way.

Love those photos, even the "purrrrrno" one. :)

As am I. I am still not fully stress free. Don't think that will happen until after she has her surgery and comes home. It is a little relief in this crazy chaos that has been our last 5 days though.

FUND UPDATE: Squirrel has $725 in donations and needs $1929 more!

All Matching Challenges have been met!

Wow - we're really making progress! Thank you SO SO much for your donation! We've made a *huge* dent in the amount needed to get Squirrel Butt into surgery. I'm about to cry. Squirrel's Dad has worked SO hard, and he really needs our help to help poor Squirrel. If you're unable to donate, please share on all your social media sites so we can get the word out to more people.

Thank you all.

Fred- Thank you for all the stories about Squirrel and her sister. Love the Playcat photo as well I know you will be at AFR and on the road to recovery very soon.

IMOM works miracles every day

Kathy

Hi

Is it dark in there? Darkness is healing for all living creatures - which is why the smart ones (cats) find dark places when they need to recuperate.

Sending you lots of white light and healing purrs from the Magical Beach Kitties

Kathy

FUND UPDATE: Squirrel has $825 in donations and needs $1829 more!

AND we have a new Matching Challenge for $100!!

Squirrel is on her way - but we are not even halfway there. We have another MC for $100. The donor wishes to remain anonymous but she asks that someone come take her money right away! Could that be you???

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; . If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate Squirrel's name when making your donation.

Thanks, angels!!

Cindy W - IMOM