Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jamie K. - IMOM

Diamond Mays - 2y/o, Pomchi With Rectal Abnormalitis and Blockage.

198 posts in this topic

Hi Diamond's Mom,

Please tell us all about Diamond- especially your favorite stories. IMOM Angels love stories and pictures too - If you can not get them to post, maybe one of the IMOM caseworkers can help with that.

You can post all your responses right here and everyone will see them. Lots of Angels read and donate but not post- so keep posting as much as you can as some wait for the pet parent to post and then they donate.

IMOM has always come through- so keep posting and talking to us and we will get little Diamond the help she needs

Kathy

Hi Melissa and Diamond-

Once we get all the funds raised, and we will, when will they be able to do this surgery for Diamond? I am sure not much has changed but how are things today? Thinking of you and Diamond! Look forward to hearing from you. Let us keep this rolling Angels as Diamond is miserable. I have this really bad visual in my head even thinking of the pain the poor little girl has to go through in order to relieve herself and for this long. Can you imagine? I sure can't! And poor baby Diamond screams out in pain. That right there would take me a lot to ever get out of my head if it ever would so let us help her out! It is Easter Angels and we all have been so generous lately as things picked up fast with pets in need but let us dig deep. Share, ask others to if at all possible.

I too am concerned for this baby...

I am wondering what state Melissa and Diamond live in? Once I know, I can send a couple of web sites over that list groups that might have additional funding, some are listed by name and others are even listed by state...

you know that we never turn down help with fund raising, the more help the better.....

Also anxious to hear ALL ABOUT this sweet little girl...she is SO DARN CUTE!

Judy, they live in San Diego, California. Thank you SO much! And thank you all!

Jamie.K

Hello out there, IMOM angels...are there any matching challenges???

It's pay day in our house, so I'd be loving to help someone spend money...

I couldn't think of a better way to help out our animal friends before a busy holiday weekend than to drop some coin (or cash) in the coffers for Diamond.

Let's help this family rest a little easier knowing that their pal is on the way to getting the help she needs.

Diane

Edited by Animal Luvr

Yay - a $100 Matching Challenge! Thank you so much Judy! Do we have any takers? Poor Diamond is really suffering, and we need to get the funds raised so she can get fixed up and feel better. If you're unable to donate, please share on all your social media sites so we can get the word out to more people about this poor pup.

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; note for Diamond Mays. If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate Diamond's name when making your donation.

Thank you all so much!

I just commented on Diamond's IMOM page on Facebook, I told everyone to share and donate as there is a matching challenge going on.....

The amount needed to make surgery happen is relatively reasonable...

Diamond's Momma has raised quite a bit on her own...let's see if we can help out with a little and get this little girl closer to her surgery. I still cringe when I think of her screeching as she tries to go potty...

It's payday here, too, so how about a $100 matching challenge?

Judy G.

Yeah, a MATCHING CHALLENGE! In memory of Frisky Olive and Tucker, I'll take $50 of your cold, hard cash!!! I wish it could be more right now, but it's being spread to others here.

Diane

Oh my goodness! Seeing that $150 has been raised for Diamond is incredible!! I just know she will finally be able to be a normal dog soon. Thank you all so much for spreading the word and the donations most importantly. Diamond and I llive in San Diego. I got her from an ad on Craigslist in Los Angeles. She was listed for $100 and i had requested to the seller if it was possible to meet me half way. I was really concerned about her vaccinations and had the vet she was seen at before email them all to me. I was very upset she was behind but the vet said if i came up to LA they had a special going and would bring her up to date. I informed the seller and she said she would just give Diamond to me for free because she could already tell i cared so much. Even after the vet's visit i was unaware of Diamond's real condition. The lady who gave her to me said that she was born without a tail which was obvious and had conditions similiar to a mynx cat that had difficulties passing a bowel movement. The word she used was "squeal" a little bit. That was definitely an understatement. I started just looking up stool softeners to help her and using pumpkin to mix with her food which seemed to help a little bit but it wouldnt last long in the fridge. So I seeked an alternative method which was a powder form of fiber similiar to metamucil. But once again after a certain point, diamonds stool is jsut all runny and i would have to take a break on it until it was back to normal. I took her to my local vet, and he suggested what i had already tried then suggested psyhllium husk seed. I would even try to blend a little bit of everything and make a little smoothie for diamond and figured the softer the food hopefully would come out the same way but still was not successful.The vet then prescribed lactulose which had the same effects and i stopped using. He suggested some type of surgery to just stretch out her anal canal and make small slits and stitch up to make it bigger. The surgery was $500 and i had a credit card with that amount on it and my boyfriend at the time was willing to pitch in as well. When they called me to come pick Diamond up that's the first time they told me she never had a rectal canal there was so much stool trapped in her and coming out of her vulva. He was amazed she was still alive then and wasnt suffering even more from a UTI. This was a small vet clinic and the vet suggested if i wanted a really great vet to contact this vet hospital but he said it would be around $5,000. I said i honestly couldnt afford that, and he said or an alternative would be to surrender her. I felt that it's not like she's in pain 24/7 then i would totally understand but its the 1 or 2 times a day that maybe she can even go to the bathroom. I said i would try on and off to keep mixing her food with stool softeners and if she doesnt get too backed up she wont die. Maybe i was being selfish, but Diamond is happy the rest of the percentage during the day and jumps and spins in circles when i come home. So i know shes happy. Still follows me around everyday. I wish that vet would've guided me to the right path that im on now. He did not suggest looking into the Human Society, Great organizations like IMOM, or even care credit. A friend told me that she could contact the news and start a kickstarter for Diamond, and i had no knowledge of these organizations even existing. But then she said they wouldnt help unless they know i have tried to do anything to begin with, and i said i totally understand that perspective however i was not aware or else i would have. Then i started googling dog foundations for surgeries and came across The Pet fund and the Mosby Foundation. The Pet fund suggested i contacted UC Davis to see if they would do her surgery as a learning study for the students since it was such a unique case. I called UC Davis and unfortunately they said it was too complicated for the students to do and they didnt do surgeries of that nature. I emailed a few others that i still haven't heard back from. I have been in contact with the Mosby Foundation who gave me the phone number to the humane society and website. You would think that would've been the first link to pop up when i was first searching but it was not. So i was told to get a definitely get an estimate on Diamonds surgery. Honestly i was holding off on that ecause i knew i could not afford the surgery. Then my current situation of being laid off and unemployment barely covering my rent and bills weren't helpful at all to add to the debt. I knew that the consultation was going to be $100 but luckily the vet i went to closer to my residence now had a special for $29 for first time visiting pets. :) And now I am at the status that I am in now surrounded by many caring people. I am sure a lot of people were wondering about her story and how she has lasted for so long, and there it is :)

FUND UPDATE - Diamond has $200 in donations and needs $840 more!

$50 of Diamond's $100 Matching Challenge has been met!

Thank you so much, Diane, for your donation in memory of Frisky Olive and Tucker - so heartbreaking to lose them. We're getting closer to our goal. I just know Diamond is going to get the help she needs. Poor thing. Please consider a donation - any amount helps and they all add up especially during a Matching Challenge. If you're unable to donate, please share on all your social media sites.

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation, or you can also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate Diamond’s name when making your donation.

Huge thanks to all that make it possible to help the Pets in Need.

Oh poor Diamond and poor you! We all know you were doing what you thought was the best so don't beat yourself up over it. That is in hindsight and now you are amongst Angels and the miracles that happen everyday here. I know more Angels here will follow to get Diamond help. Plus my Poms (Sam, Sadie, Millie and Ms. China) want to get on board with the other Chis pups threatening their fur parents with no snuggles or kisses. And, Diamond is part Pom so ya, you know how breeds like to stick together and compete with the other breeds. :) I am splitting my $100.00 three ways as there are three pets in need right now and matching challenges! Whoot whoot! Let's get this baby to "Happy Pooping" No pun intended. :)

One thing for sure is you are not alone here at IMOM...we all care and understand and will be here while you work to get Diamond well again....

now, you contact all those other groups since you have an estimate and see if they can donate something towards the amount needed, tell them you understand they can't donate the whole amount but a contribution will help get Diamond closer to her goal....

did you get your paperwork into Red Rover? They are there in California...once you get the paperwork sent in they have a telephone # you can call to check on any donations they might be able to you out with.....

AND we'll continue to work here at IMOM to get Diamond fixed up so she can go poopie the right way...

Diamond has $233.33 in donations and needs $806.677 more as of 6:56 PM PST 4/18/2014.

$83.33 of Diamond's $100 Matching Challenge has been met!

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; note for Diamond Mays. If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate Diamond's name when making your donation.

Thank you Angels!

Diamond has $233.33 in donations and needs $806.67 more!

$83.33 of Diamond's $100 Matching Challenge has been met!

Thank you Angels for your donations so far! We still have $16.67 left in the Matching Challenge. Do we have any takers? I know it's a holiday weekend, but this poor pup really needs our help. Can you please help Diamond? She's in a lot of pain and we need to get her fixed up. If you're unable to donate, please share on all your social media sites so we can get the word out to more people.

Thank you al!

Edited by Jamie K. - IMOM

Melissa? How is poor little Diamond doing? This thread has been way too quiet and Diamond needs to have this surgery! Can you post an update on how she is? Been worried and thinking about her! Please share some stories about her and if you can maybe a picture. Angels are reading even if they don't post and absolutely love to hear about her and updates frequently. To be in pain everyday just must be awful!

Diamond has $250 in donations and needs $790 more!

Diamond's Matching Challenge has been met!

Thank you Hope and Angel Kitty Kitty! And, Judy feel free to send in those funds!! I know it's a holiday weekend, but this poor pup really needs our help. Can you please help Diamond? She's in a lot of pain and we need to get her to All Funds Raised so she can get the treatment she needs. If you're unable to donate, please share on all your social media sites so we can get the word out to more people.

Thank you al!

Well Diamond is still struggling. There are times like right now when she tries to go #2 and she just can't. We have a system down that seems to work. I live in an apartment and when I first got her I was trying to train her to still go on grass. So I went to Home Depot and bought sod and I also got 2 giant lids for the big Rubbermaid containers to place the sod in. I also made a doghouse for her out of cardboard box that I sat in her bed. So when I didn't have her leashed to me while walking around my place I had her leashed to her living area. She can go as far as the grass, her food and her bed. And she is smart with good intentions. She never peed in her bed especially for a small dog who doesn't have that natural instinct. But when it came to pooping she was in pain and she would get scared and she would rub back to her safe house AKA the dog house. The poop would fall out on the way or in her bed. I went through 5 beds and blankets and it was a lot of work. My whole place smelled really bad because I would try cleaning them also and it would just hold the smell. So I finally decided no more cloth things. And it worked. I would water the grass also and keep for about 2 weeks before replacing. The sod wouldn't smell so well either and it was always really heavy to get even thought they were like $2 each. Potty pads are really expensive but if came across some at Albertsons. 100 for $20. Then I switched to potty pads. My brothers husky grew out of her cage after she was about 7 months and he have it to me which is really huge for Diamond. So I put the potty pads in there. I also started to buy Diapers because I saw that Diamond wouldn't be able to control herself. Even when she does pee, she can't. If you tell a normal dog no while they are going they stop. Diamond doesn't. I was buying Diapers from Petco which are really expensive. $30 for like 15 maybe. And the dog ones at Walmart are really cheap and you can't reuse because it's like tape on plastic. So I now get the newborn diapers at Walmart. $20 for 100. A big save plus quality velcrow straps. Dog clothing is very expensive even for tiny dogs. So from walmart I bought a pack of newborn onesies for about $7 for 4. They help keep the diapers on. I really like the diapers because it beats a potty pad and diamond doesn't seem to mind either. Plus she knows that she can wander around freely and sleep in my bed. But when she has to poop she screams of course. We will both run to each other I pick her up, rip the diaper off, tuck her onesie into her harness collar and I'll put her in the cage. It always takes around while she hops around trying her hardest. She'll even be in a handstand position because she's trying so hard. And sometimes I'll put her in there and she will try and try then give up. I'll leave her in there for about 30 then decide to take her out. Then as soon as I do she will start screaming again so I put her back. Same thing happens. Can last for hours. So this is what's happening. Right now :/

I sure hope Diamond is okay. We've been trying to reach her Mom since yesterday, and she hasn't responded to our emails.

Jamie.K

I've been trying to figure out how to post pictures. It's not an option on my phone so I will try on my laptop I also have a video if her trying to go to the bathroom. I'm sure more would be willing to help when you can actually see what she has to go through everyday.

LOL! Jamie, you and Melissa posted at the same time! But we do need to get this money raised for poor Diamond.

Judy G.

lol, Judy! We sure did! And thank you for the matching funds.

Melissa, if you're able to email the photos and video, I can post them for you. I'm so glad to see you here!

Jamie.K

FUND UPDATE: Diamond has $355 in donations and needs $685 more!

Thank you Judy for sending in your match, and thank you Angels for your donations so far! We're a little over a third of the way there! Poor Diamond is really suffering, and we need to get the funds raised so she can get fixed up and feel better. Can you please help Diamond? If you're unable to donate, please share, share, share on all your social media sites so we can get the word out to more people about this poor pup.

Thank you all so much!