Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jamie K. - IMOM

Bambi Warrington - 5-year-old Chihuahua with Pyometra

226 posts in this topic

Diagnosis: Pyometra and now Seizures/Neurological Problems

Treatment: Hospitalization and Anticonvulsants/Pyometra Surgery

Low end of estimate: $1845 2,038 $2,759 $1,000 (Vet will take to proceed with Pyo surgery) (The vet said they would take $1,000 of the $1845 for the pyo estimate plus $1038 for the emergency seizure treatment/hospitalization.)

Owner contribution: $0 (Owner has incurred $570 in vet bills which have not been paid for.)

Funds already raised for Pyometra surgery: $431

Needed for low end of the estimate: $1845 $2038 $2759 $569

4% for IMOM operating expenses: $74 $82 $110 $23

Our fund raising goal: $1919 2120 $2870 $592

Spayed: No

Caseworker: Jamie.K

Bambi is at All Funds Raised!!! Donations no longer needed!

5/1/2014 - Fundraising has been re-opened. Thankfully, Bambi has remained seizure-free, and her Mom is working on scheduling Bambi to be checked over Monday. If she is able to take Bambi in on Monday, the vet will be able to do her surgery on Tuesday.

Fundraising Temporarily Suspended - Bambi's vet said there is nothing else that can be done at the moment and recommended that her Mom take her home and keep her comfortable and on pain medications for now.

UPDATE 4/17/14 5:00 PM EST: Bambi did not improve overnight, and the vets conferred and are trying to get to the bottom of what's causing the neuro problems. They want to do bloodwork which has not been done, additional hospitalization and IV fluids, and test for Cushings which they say could be the cause of her symptoms

UPDATE 4/16/14 1:30 PM EST: Bambi started having seizures and had to be rushed to the vet. She continued to have seizures in spite of 2 different kinds of anticonvulsant injections and needed hospitalization/anticonvulsants to get the seizures under control before they can perform the pyometra surgery. Her vet at this point doesn't know if the problems Bambi has been having are directly related to the pyometra or related to the neurological problem. Thanks to the donations that have come in so far, Bambi is currently receiving care/hospitalization for the seizures, but we still need to raise additional funds to cover her pyo surgery.

post-9302-0-21188200-1397655222_thumb.jp

Bambi Warrington is a 5-year-old Chihuahua with Pyometra. Needs **immediate treatment** - Bambi weighs 2.5 pounds and is very delicate, and the vet told her Mom yesterday that Bambi wouldn't last 12 hours without treatment. Bambi's Mom took Bambi to an after-hours emergency vet who did an exam, X-Rays and gave Bambi some antibiotics and pain meds without payment up front, and they recommended that she take Bambi to her regular vet. She then went to her current vet who diagnosed Bambi. Bambi's uterus is filled with fluid, and she's having great difficulty breathing. Her vet opens at 7:00 a.m. Pacific time, and we need to raise the needed funds as quickly as possible. We could lose Bambi at any time.

This is what Bambi's Mom told us about 2:00 a.m this morning: "My mother died of a massive heart attack 5 yrs ago, in front of my then 8 year old son. I had not intended on another pet, but then we saw Bambi, and I thought she might help my son and I both with our terrible grief and trauma from my mother's death. She turned out to be a little fur angel of love. She and my son can't go 10 minutes without cuddling, playing with, and adoring each other. He has IBS, and Bambi is the best thing in his life. She returns his love, and is always by his side. We hope with all our hearts that you can help us with Bambi. She is the light of our lives and our home, always sweet, always cuddly, funny, cute, playful and smart. We have nowhere else to turn, especially in such a short time. I'm hoping she will make it until morning, I would love for her to be in the hospital right now being treated and can't stand to see her suffering. She is now at a stage where she is making little "squeak" noises, which is her way of crying. I'm glad my son is too tired to wake up because he would be distraught."

Bambi's Mom has also posted an introduction and additional photos of Bambi here: http://www.imom.org/...showtopic=10150

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; note for Bambi Warrington. If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate Bambi's name when making your donation.

Thank you all so much!

Edited by Jamie K. - IMOM

I just want to say thank you, thank you, thank you to IMOM and all of you wonderful human beings who care about us and especially about Bambi. We have had a really rough night and we are hoping for the best when we get to the vet's office. She has been crying all night long, whenever her pain medication starts to wear off and I am just so relieved that she will be able to get help. All my love to everyone who has already helped and everyone who is helping, my son Aidan and I can't thank you enough!

Shalyn, Aidan, and Bambi Warrington

I wanted to mention, also, that we are even more worried about Bambi, because last night when she went to the bathroom there was blood in her stool. Slightly later she went a little more and there wasn't any, but I called another emergency vet clinic at 3 a.m. and they told me to get her in to the vet as soon as I can because we should be worried about complications from the pyometra. There didn't seem to be any bleeding from any other area.

She is just the most lovable little creature in the world, we think. She will lick you by the hour, it seems, if you let her. It is her way of petting you back. We've experimented, and right after you have a long petting session, the next time one of is on one of our beds and she is there, she will burrow under the covers and start licking any available skin she finds! It is so funny. She loves to get under the covers and lick my son's feet, which tickles him beyond anything he can stand, and she will follow his feet as he laughs and tries to comply with her compulsion to "pet" him. She will also lick your arm, or your hand if that's handy. She's grooming us, we think. She only does it for a prolonged time after we have spent time focusing on her and petting her. She is a truly irreplaceable little creature.

Thank you, we appreciate every effort with all of our hearts.

Shalyn, Aidan, and Bambi

I am not at home but you want to get in touch with other groups that might have funding to help you...

What state are you in?

Also, since you have your paperwork together from IMOM the other groups will want the same...right now get in touch with

Red Rover (formerly United Animal Nation)

tell them that you are working to find help for your girl...and ANY SIZE DONATION will help get her to her goal sooner...

once you get their paperwork in they have a telephone # you can call...

start that right away

here is the link that goes directly to the financial aid section of Red Rover

http://www.redrover.org/node/1198

get your paperwork in and here is the telephone #

916-429-2457

Edited by Judy

Thank you, I am filling it out right now. I am just so worried. She seems dehydrated and hasn't had any water in a while. She's shaking a lot and the pain medicine doesn't seem to be doing much.

Shalyn, Aidan and Bambi

FUND UPDATE: Bambi has $100 in donations and needs $1819 more.

Thank you Angels for you donations so far! Bambi's a sick little pup, and she really needs our help. Can you please help this cute little baby? If you're unable to donate, please share, share, share on all your social media sites so we can get the word out to more people.

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; note for Bambi Warrington. If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate Bambi's name when making your donation.

Thank you all so much!

We think Bambi is having a seizure right now so we are going to the vet immediately. I do have my phone on as of yesterday. My number is (XXX) XXX-XXXX. If anyone needs to get in touch with me.

We are going now

Thank you to everyone,

Shalyn, Aidan and Bambi

Deleted phone number for privacy reasons.

Jamie.K

Not that Remeo doesn't need the funding but I think with both of the little chi's up for fund raising you grabbed the wrong name for the donations...

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; note for Remeo Justus. If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate Remeo's name when making your donation.

How about a $50 challenge ... I wish it could be so much more!

Not that Remeo doesn't need the funding but I think with both of the little chi's up for fund raising you grabbed the wrong name for the donations...

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; note for Remeo Justus. If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate Remeo's name when making your donation.

Thank you Judy - I was in such a hurry I put the wrong name. I've corrected it now. Thank you so much!

Jamie.K

Yay - a $50 Matching Challenge! Thank you so much Sue! Any takers? Bambi really needs our help. If you're unable to donate, please share, share, share on all your social media sites so we can get the word out to more people.

Thank you all so much!

Folks, I just spoke with Bambi's vet's office. Bambi is at the vet and needs treatment RIGHT NOW. They were willing to work out arrangements with Bambi's MOM for some of the costs, but need $1387 right now to proceed with treatment. We have raised $100, so that means we need $1287.

A lot has happened since I last posted. We spoke with Bambi's vet, and there have been complications. Before they can perform the pyometra surgery, they need to try to get Bambi's seizures under control, which means Bambi needs at least 12 hours of hospitalization and meds/anticonvulsants. Fortunately, we received a sizable donation for the pyo surgery, and we were able to shift those funds over to the seizure treatment to try to stabilize Bambi's seizures. Had we not received that donation, Bambi would have died.

Bambi continued to have seizures in spite of the vet trying two different anticonvulsants, so the vet feels that Bambi may have a brain lesion rather than epilepsy. At this point, the vet doesn't know if the problems Bambi has been having are directly related to the pyo or the neurological problem. When they are able to get the seizures under control, then they will be able to perform the pyo surgery.

So our fundraising goal has increased. I will post the new numbers shortly.

Jamie.K

I can donate 50.00 cash tonight and an additional 100.00 - 150.00 thru my care credit, please let me know.

Thanks

Please let me know if the vet is willing to make a charge thru care credit, I really want to help.

I can donate 50.00 cash tonight and an additional 100.00 - 150.00 thru my care credit, please let me know.

Thanks

Thank you so much ChiLover. Regarding your question about using your Care Credit, please send your question to the Committee at gf@imom.org.

Thank you so much, again.

Jamie.K

FUND UPDATE: Bambi has $1150 in donations and needs $970 more. (Please see Bambi's original forum post for explanation of new numbers.)

Bambi's $50 Matching Challenge has been met!

Thank you so much Angels for your donations so far. You literally saved Bambi's life today. Hopefully they'll be able to get her seizures stabilized fairly quickly so she can have her Pyometra surgery. This is an awful lot for a 2.5-pound pup to have to deal with, poor thing. If you're unable to donate, please share, share, share on all your social media sites so we can get the word out to more people.

Thank you all so much!

Have they stabilized Bambi's seizures? Wonder how they will know or diagnosis it being a brain lesion or epilepsy? And treatment? Poor little thing! Praying really hard for this small 2.5 pounder.

Hopefully Bambi's Mom will be here soon to give us an update. I'm praying Bambi is okay.

Jamie.K

I too am so worried for this tiny, tiny baby...

I am praying that the seizures were a combination of dehydration and the infection from the pyro

Hi everyone,

At the vet's office, my son became so upset from everything that he started to have IBS issues, and I've been awake with Bambi for over 24 hours about so I asked the vet if it would be ok if we went home for a little while so he can deal with his stomach issues (he feels more comfortable at home). So we came home and I slept a little then called the vet, who updated me on Bambi's condition with the 1:30 pm update.

Aidan also has the flu and even though he slept for a while last night while I held Bambi and gave her meds, he is so tired he can't stay awake right now, and so worried about her that he can't stop crying.

I'm going to call the vet's office right away and get another update on Bambi's condition.

Thank you so, so much for all of your help and support. We are just so distraught to now think that Bambi might have something neurological going on. Aidan has been an absolute hero in taking care of Bambi and so brave on the way to the vet with her.

I can't thank all of you enough for your wonderful support, I don't know what we would have done, or would do without your help. Thank you again, and I will update again after I call the vet's office.

Shalyn, Aidan and Bambi

I don't want to say this but am going too. Are they recommending a CT scan or MRI of Bambi's brain? I have a pom and he all of a sudden had seizures. I was advised to have a CT scan or better yet, MRI, to for surely diagnosis. I went with the MRI. He had a small clot of some sort that they are not sure if that was causing it or not but he is now on Levetiracetam and hasn't had one since. He was having multiples in very short periods of time. Maybe something to mention?? I know price is an issue but maybe we can find help from other organizations? Just throwing out what I am thinking.

Hope and Angel,

The vet mentioned a MRI, if possible, if she doesn't respond to the siezure medications. She seems to be somewhere in the middle, where she is responding, but very, slowly, and we don't know yet if she will respond the rest of the way if we just give it time, or what. At least that's what I got from what the vet said.

My son has IBS issues, and the flu, and was so brave throughout this, holding her on the way to the vet when she was having such a horrible seizure and hanging on. He's only fourteen and he thought she was dead a few times on the way to the vet. When we got there he was so relieved to hand her over to the vet to help her.

He keeps asking me if I'm ok and if there's anything he can do to help, then he'll do anything necessary to help, and he gives great hugs.

He is just horrified at the idea of having her here at home and worrying about her all night seizing again, or worse.

He's sleeping now, thank goodness.

I don't know what we would have done without you all here, you've been, truly, angels.

Your mentioning that your poor little Pom had a small clot and is now doing well is like something heaven-sent. Just the thought that there is any real hope! Thank god your pom is doing well! I've never seen a full on seizure before and it is absolutely terrifying. It makes you want to do anything in the universe to help them and at the same time you don't know how it's possible to help them.

I just want to say thank you again to everyone who is helping Bambi and our family. It sounds so stupid, but I mean it, our gratitude knows no bounds.