Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Cindy/IMOM

Joey Roberts needs surgery to remove a mass on his thyroid

110 posts in this topic

Great photos, thanks for sharing them! I hope Joey has a full and speedy recovery. Keep us posted on his progress. Please thank your friend for taking care of him while you're not at home.

Diane

Been thinking about this little chow hound and hoping he is doing well, and finding it much easier to breathe and steal some snacks off mom's plate.

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days. Work has had me crazy busy. Joey is doing great. He has been weaned off of his pain meds and is very spunky. He seems to have a lot more energy in him now...more so than before the surgery which brightens my heart. Poor thing...everyone is nicknaming him "Frankenweenie" cause of all his incisions and the staples...guess the pitiful looks contribute to the title too. He is obviously not in as much pain. however, he still milks it for the attention. My friend laughs every time I come home...she says that when she is with him that he is fine and bouncing around, but as soon as I get home, he drops his head and starts making pitiful grunting noises cause he knows I'll give him so much attention. Overall, I think he's doing great. Still no word on the pathology tests. Fingers still crossed.

Bad News.... I got the pathology report back today. The mass was a type of thyroid cancer. It had grown into the carotid artery. They removed the part that connected to the artery but in fear that they did not get 100%, they are putting him on an aggressive chemo regiment. They want me to be very aggressive with it and not to wait. I speak to the Oncologist on Monday to get a date and the dreadful news of how much this will cost me now... At least I know that there are other companies that will assist me now that I have a clear cancer diagnosis. Wish me luck. :unsure:

So sorry to hear this. Don't give up hope. Maybe they did get it all. Please keep us informed.

Hi

Ask your vet if it is ok to give Joey aloe vera and transfer factor before and during treatment. A friend of mine (doctor) says this helps with the side effects of chemo in people. I get the aloe vera from Andrew Lessman- pure aloe vera, no stomach uspet.

I am so sorry that Joey has to have more treatment.

Wishing you both all the best

Kathy

Sonja, we were posting at the same time and I just deleted my previous post in respect for both you and Joey...no joking around right now...

I am sending you long distance hugs and hope that the chemo is going to take care of the problem....

we will do some research and find groups that deal with helping with cancer treatment

right now I know of

The Magic Bullet Fund

www.paws4acure.org

www.tailsofhopefoundation.org

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CGkQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.speakingforspot.com%2Findex.php%3Fp%3DFinancial-Assistance-for-Veterinary-Care&ei=2I5aU6GFH6SI2gXp9ICABA&usg=AFQjCNFArt3oRHUyghJofSNGkuSQLKYlrg&bvm=bv.65397613,d.b2I

and when I get home I'll search for more...

Edited by Judy

I'm so sorry to hear this, Sonja. I've known several dogs that underwent chemo and they handled it much better than people. I hope you find more help and that the treatment is successful. Please keep us posted.

Hugs to you and Joey,

Cindy W - IMOM

sounds like they are suggesting chemo to go after any free radical cells that might have roamed. I'm still betting on Joey!

BTW, try Mosby again, now that Joey's survived the surgery. They do have a special fund for canines battling cancer.