Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Cindy.k IMOM

Lovie - St. Bernard with mammary tumors

188 posts in this topic

OMG.... I'm in TEARS!!!! It's been a long long day. AND to come home to such wonderful news.... I see dancing bananas everywhere!!!!

Thank you Angle's for all your love, support and oh my... everything!!!! I can't thank anyone one of you enough... my cup runneth over.

As soon as I eat my dinner, yes, it's been a long long day... I'll post the best picture of Lovie. I learned today, there is no way she will go outside in the rain... without a jacket. I had bought the greatest jacket for her with the cold and now know it will come in use... give me a little bit and you'll see!!!!

THANK you so much Angle's...you all rock this world. And have made Lovie your priority as well as she is mine!!! Dr. Koch, look out we're on our way first thing Monday morning.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

I learned today, there is no way she will go outside in the rain... without a jacket.

Well, at least Lovie will be making a fashion statement. Looking forward to seeing her model her coat! My two dogs are convinced they will melt if rain drops befall them...and forget about wearing a coat! Those silly dogs!

Diane

Diane, here you go.... and everyone else who has gone thru this journey with us.

She rocks Camo and skulls...

post-29517-0-64588600-1396143159_thumb.j

I think she is looking at me saying 'Really mom, another picture....' LOL

I adore those grinch feet of her's. I keep telling her everyday, we need to trim up those hairy feet and paws of your's. BUT never seem to get to it. Nails are cut, coat is groomed, ears are cleaned and still she has grinch feet. LOL

post-29517-0-10922000-1396143317_thumb.j

Edited by sdurlak

Great photo! My, I can see it now...Lovie struttin' her stuff down a catwalk! :cool026:

Great photo! My, I can see it now...Lovie struttin' her stuff down a catwalk! :cool026:

On our "Catwalk"? :huh: We love her coat and the sound of dancing bananas woke us from our slumbers, but there are just some places dogs are not allowed. (jk)

But, we do have a beauty who belongs on a "CATwalk", and needs some help quickly. Frisky Olive is back up in "needs donations".

All joking aside, we are absolutely thrilled Lovie found you and will start her road to wellness this week!

I see Frisky met the funds needed this morning... how awesome is that??? We woke up to 5 inches of snow this morning. When I had gotten home last night, it was like a sheet of ice out there. I'm hoping that is stops sometime soon... one can dream.

We had a good night of playing and fun after I had gotten home. Lovie is so funny, she will literally push her fursisters away to get all the attention. Beau could care less and walk away, Daisy on the other hand gives it to her. It's so much fun to watch. I had each of them on either side of me getting belly rubs and thigh tickles. I just adore my critters!!!

Well we have about 8 inches of snow on the ground, once again. AND it's still snowing. I'm so glad that it makes someone happy in this house... LOVIE. I wish I could catch a photo of her rolling in it. But I'll be sure to get one of her with snout buried and eating it today.

I've tried to call Dr. Koch to let him know the good new, but someone at the office forgot to forward the phone to voicemail. So a call will be made first thing in the morning to get 'OUR' girl in for all her pre-op stuff!!

I need to go up to the barn today, trudging thru the snow to get the xxxl crate down for when she comes home. I don't want to gate her in an area of the house by herself. So the crate will be set up in the living room so she is with us all the time. She won't be forced to go in, but then I may find out she likes a crate. One can only guess...

Happy SUNDAY Angles!!!

I just LOVE the photo with Lovie all dolled up in her coat...how cute is that...

and we have a rough collie and my husband call her feet, hobbit feet when the fur gets out of control...we like them also...plus, she really isn't too happy getting the fur trimmed on her feet, we can usually do 3, and then she has one strange looking foot for awhile...

Can't wait for tomorrow when you show up at the vets...maybe if she can get on her antibiotics tomorrow she can have surgery Friday for sure if not sooner...wouldn't that be GRAND...

Judy, after I spoke with Dr. Koch yesterday morning he said either Friday or Saturday. Only because she is a large dog and wants to make sure he has his 'strong arms' at the office with him and her. He also wants to be certain things go very smoothly for her. So having as many hands there with him, she'll be as comfortable as she can possibly be.

Yes, she is adorable in her coat - hoodie. As you can see I love camo. If it had been pink camo that would have been better. She is a little monster so it was so fitting for her. If I could find a 2xl in a pink parka like her little fur sister has, she would have one of those too for the winter. After talking with my sister, who has a 250 lb English mastiff, she gave me the greatest idea for next winter. Both St Bernards will be getting pony blankets from Tractor Supply for the winter!!! I gave up on boots for the two of them. AFTER losing four on each dog, they can wear mismatched ones now. LOL

I WILL keep everyone up dated on our progress this week. I'm sure she won't be happy with me having to take medication everyday... but we'll both get over that too.

Our Gracie Belle does not like to take her meds at all...so...Rylee gets a little bone with whipped cream cheese on it first, then Gracie comes over for her treat...her pill with whipped cream cheese on it....

You wouldn't believe how well that works...at least for our girls.....makes things so much easier...

collies are sweet, gentle dogs but NOT when it comes to medicine OR having her feet trimmed.....

Well we have about 8 inches of snow on the ground, once again. AND it's still snowing. I'm so glad that it makes someone happy in this house... LOVIE.

I'd be concerned if a St. Bernard didn't love snow! :P

Here we go... our latest winter storm but I'm pretty sure it won't be the last the way this winter has gone thus far. Lovie in her grandeur of winter... and yes her fur sisters as well. I apologize in advance for Beau using the potty in the one, but it was such a cute picture of Lovie!!!

You can always tell which one is Lovie, she is either pulling up the rear or pushing them out of the way. Lovie is the smaller of the two St Bernard's. I just can't wait to talk to Dr. Koch tomorrow first thing. I can see that she'll be going to Physical Therapy with me before or after her visit!!!

post-29517-0-18092500-1396213512_thumb.jpost-29517-0-46176200-1396213531_thumb.jpost-29517-0-95985200-1396213557_thumb.jpost-29517-0-92843800-1396213576_thumb.jpost-29517-0-31125200-1396213593_thumb.j

Now you see me...

Now you don't...

When I look at all these pictures, I think to myself, boy Sheryl the house is a mess. But they are mostly pictures of the spare room, and there are about five blankets piled on the futon in there and all my winter boots under the window... LOL

post-29517-0-44070100-1396213779_thumb.j

post-29517-0-62933400-1396213794_thumb.j

Edited by sdurlak

The scary part for me right now, worrying about whether or not I'll have to replace my vacuum come mid spring ~ ok beginning of summer. When these two St's shed and kill the current one I have. LOL

I just got off the phone with Anna at Dr. Koch's office. WE have a 2:30 appt. to get Lovie in and get the ball rolling with antibiotics and all her pre-op work!!! I'll be sure to sweet talk Dr. Koch for a picture with Lovie.

It's gonna be a great day indeed!

Lovie is on the way to step #1 to her surgery!! YAY...

Edited by Judy

Angles, step one complete !!! We just got home, of course from a 40 minute drive from town. If anyone is interested, I live in Prattsburgh, NY and Dr Koch's office is in Hornell, NY. This gives some of you an idea of my travels whenever errands need to be done.

:minichien6: :minichien6: :minichien6:

Dr. Koch just called with Lovie's blood results and she does have a slight infection, so prior to leaving the office he had wanted her antibiotics no matter what. So Covered. I need to run into town only 5 miles away where there is a Dollar General and get her some vitamin E pills. Her liver enzymes are a little high, but he thought that they would be. So Vitamin E is on the menu once a day. And Previcox the night before surgery.

So much to remember, I had to take notes.

She is going in on Saturday morning at 11:30. After his regular hours, he will have one of his 'strong arms' there to help with lifting and such and monitoring her during surgery. Her surgery will be done after hours so Dr. Koch has nothing else to worry about the rest of the day.... I was in tears when I asked if I was picking her later that afternoon. He said that most likely not. He wants to see how she does after surgery, but because it is such a big surgery and invasive (due to her size), he will probably keep her at least over night. I'm going to be worrying like crazy. BUT know she will be in good hands.

:pp_animal_261:

I know you all would love to meet Dr. Lee Koch... so here you go!!! HE took her muzzle off for the picture~~

Yes, he puts a muzzle on her. Not knowing her history and when she gave him lip our first visit, she is labeled on her chart 'MUZZLE'. It makes me chuckle a little only because it's men she gives lip too.

So here we go... Angle's I would like to introduce to you Dr. Lee Koch, Lovie's veterinarian. Such a wonderful wonderful man!

post-29517-0-74502300-1396301773_thumb.j

Char... I'm not sure how to reply to your message directly. But if you read above you'll see I posted an update on Lovie yesterday. We got to the vet for all her pre-op stuff. Nothing surprised us that we weren't expecting. Lovie goes in for surgery on Saturday. He will doing her surgery after his normal office hours. This way he has time and not be rushed in any way shape or form while doing the procedure. He is very positive and supportive When he told me that it is unlikely that I'll be able to bring her home on Saturday evening, I just cried like a baby.

But I know he is very concerned because it is such an invasive and extensive surgery with her being such a large dog. I can't image having a double mastectomy as a human, but on a dog, the entire underside of her belly will be so so sore.

She got her dose of antibiotic and vitamin e last night. Her antibiotic this morning and will get her vitamin e this afternoon then her second dose of antibiotic at cookie time this evening. She is taking them like a trooper... but what fur baby wouldn't when they see a spoon with peanut butter on it???

Thanks for checking on her and thank you for your generosity!!!

I'll keep everyone updated every day!!!

Even though Lovie won't be able to come home on Saturday, she is going to be pretty out of it from her surgery, so perhaps a rest at the clinic will be good for her...

When you drop her off, ask if you can leave her blanket or a tee shirt with your scent on it so she knows that you are with her and she is not alone...

SOON she is going to be on her road to recovery, how GRAND is that...

I hadn't thought of the t-shirt Judy.... thank you. Funny as puppies we think of taking something of their moms, but as a 'dog' I am her mom. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to have something in her kennel with her.

And GRAND it is. I was just invited to go into Buffalo for a weekend and had to say no. AND don't even feel as though I'll be missing anything because I'll have to take care of Lovie, and she is the number one priority on my list right now.

I am just so overwhelmed with the out pour of love and support for Lovie it is hard for me to grasp!

She is doing well today. She seems to be sleeping a little more than usual. And she seems to not want to leave my side for a second. I believe this surgery just can't come soon enough for her!!! I had to trim back a lot of her fur around her tumors last night. The one was leaking so much that her fur was all clumped together and yucky.

But hopefully the antibiotic will help some with this and Saturday can't come soon enough!!!

Edited by sdurlak