Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Cindy.k IMOM

Lovie - St. Bernard with mammary tumors

188 posts in this topic

Charlene, I wanted to tell you what a nice thing you are doing for Luvie....giving them support AND spreading the word...a wonderful tribute to Maggie, I know that she is pleased to be part of this fund raising...thank you for that...

FUND UPDATE: Lovie has $520 in donations and needs $1,044 more!

Lovie was emaciated at only 74 pounds when her mom brought her home from the shelter. Her mom said; "It broke my heart when I could actually see how thin she was. I cried the rest of the day and just held her and hugged her and loved on her.”

Lovie has gained 22 pouds since. If she can just get the live-saving surgery she needs, a happy future is within reach!

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; note for Lovie Durlak. If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate Lovie’s name when making your donation.

Thank you so much!

post-22479-0-46526900-1396049251_thumb.j

Edited by Cindy.k IMOM

FUND UPDATE: Lovie has $520 in donations and needs $1,044 more!

Thank you so much Angels! We're a third of the way there - this is a really good start. Can we get another Matching Challenge? Funds add up so quickly that way. Let's get poor Lovie to All Funds Raised as soon as we can so she can have her surgery and start feeling better. Can you please help Lovie? If you're unable to donate, please share, share, share on all your social media sites - sharing is just as important because it gets the word out to more people.

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; note for Lovie Durlak. If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate Lovie's name when making your donation.

Thank you all so much!

Here we go everyone... I hadn't realized that by posting pictures on the Forum didn't mean they weren't posted on her page. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!!!

With each post I'll put my little caption and information on her on those particular days...

January 10th, I found this post on 'Finger Lakes Lost and Found Dogs" page on Facebook, Lisa there had pointed me in the right direction in inquire about Lovie.

How could this face not affect anyone who loves St. Bernards? I was adamant about being able to find a way to get this girl home with me. Told that she was 8 yrs old with mammary tumors, I wanted to give this 'senior' a loving, comfortable home to live out the rest of her days. To find out she is only 6 yrs old and with surgery can and will live out a long life!!!

post-29517-0-02428500-1396050553_thumb.j

This is the very day that Lovie was brought home... I had initially started her on one cup of food every other hour for two days so that she did not gorge herself or bloat.

January 22nd. As you can see, she was emaciated at only 74 pounds. We are very happy to report that she is now 96 pounds and we were told by Dr. Koch, no more weight... ok maybe 1 or 2 pounds but that is it! When she came home with me they had given her a flea bath as they do in shelters. She had such a bad reaction to the soap that I got her some all natural Oatmeal soap and gave her a shower. It broke my heart when I could actually see how thin she was. I cried the rest of the day and just held her and hugged her and loved on her giving her extra cookies when her fur sisters weren't watching.

But I am thrilled that she loves water, as most St Bernards do, and she loves to be blow dryed!!!

post-29517-0-01073200-1396050661_thumb.j

January 22nd - Lovie's first day home.

Lazing about in front of the electric fire place. She is a perfect picture girl! In her picture perfect home...

post-29517-0-62498700-1396050784_thumb.j

March 5th - Lovie as well as her St Bernard fur sister had gotten a sort of flu bug. Lovie's fur sister

over came it within 24 hours. Lovie however, was under the weather for two full days. Happy to be finally given some rice and boiled ground turkey, this was a wrap up after a good feeding. She loves her blankets and rugs all over the house. Unlike her furbaby sisters, she will not go on the furniture... no matter how hard I try to entice her.

post-29517-0-07633500-1396051030_thumb.j

This is a picture of us getting ready to celebrate a late Christmas with my daughter, son in law and my first grandbaby coming into New York from Arizona.

post-29517-0-06948000-1396051123_thumb.j

Edited by sdurlak

March 12th - the start of our last major snow storm here in Upstate New York. Look out mom...post-29517-0-64408000-1396051248_thumb.j

Here is Lovie getting ready to dive bomb me when I called her into the house thru the front door. We had gotten nearly 20 inches of snow that day. She is so heavy footed, pushy and such a goof I had to share the jowls flapping as she ran at me.

Angels...you can just see how much this sweet girl is loved...her Momma took her in even though she thought that she wouldn't have her for very long...

can you imagine how excited her Momma was when she found out that Lovie was only 6 yrs. old and with surgery had a a chance to be happy and healthy again and LOVED...

This is such a wonderful story...it's a story that I wish all dogs in shelters could experience...truly...what is better than this...you know they say that dogs don't really relate to "time"...right now Lovie is in such a good place, we can help to make sure that she stays there for a long, long time....

By the way, your posts and photos are GREAT, the captions you write with them are SO touching...but you know, I can just tell that the words you are writing are coming straight from your heart...

Edited by Judy

I think I'm figuring out how to post on here for everyone to see and enjoy Lovie... and having fun looking at all the options that are available. Being disabled now, I miss my Office so much. For years I worked as an Administrative Assistant to either the Dean of Academics in a small Catholic College in Buffalo New York. Or when in Arizona, a Senior Secretary to the Dean of Graduate Studies in Political Science and then in South Asian Studies. So being on the computer is fun for me... especially with all the new fun stuff on Windows 8 to play with ...

March 13th - The Day After the Storm (isn't that a movie title)

post-29517-0-17921700-1396051585_thumb.j

OH

Lovie, I am trying to shovel a path to the cars down the driveway. Must you stand directly in my way. As you can see, there is nearly 20 inches of snow after our last storm here in NY. I've learned that she loves to roll in the snow endlessly. AND eats it too just like her fur sister. The two of them together are so so much fun...

Judy is so right - Lovie is in such a good place, we can help to make sure that she stays there for a long, long time.... $250 matching challenge is on the table - c'mon Angels, take my money. I want to see Lovie and Sheryl spend many happy years together.

I usually go to bed early as I get up at the crack of dawn, but I am having so much fun reading and viewing Lovie's story...

You are doing a GREAT JOB...keep up the good work...you are posting pictures already and it took me YEARS to figure that out...needless to say you can figure out that I am not computer friendly...

keep up the good work.....

You mentioned that you talk with the vet every day...did they say how soon after all funds are raised can surgery happen?

A fenced in yard is a little difficult when you live on 12 acres of land on the top of a mountain. Not to mention when you have two St Bernards and a little Cockapoo to clean up after. So, the St Bernards get run of the land and have so much fun in doing so. They are never gone longer than 20 minutes. You can here Lovie's distinguished bark out there when she hears a deer, a rabbit or even a fox. She has a deep bark that is loud and drawn out... RRROOWWWOOOOOFFFF I walk around behind her barking just like she does and get the most peculiar look.

Her is Lovie following her fur baby sister onto new adventures. Lovie stays within 'her' site of the house. Which doesn't always mean I can see her. But I'll see a tail wag or a branch move in the wooded area close to the edge. So I know she never goes far. No matter how much her fur baby sister tries to entice.post-29517-0-38000200-1396052840_thumb.j

Judy is so right - Lovie is in such a good place, we can help to make sure that she stays there for a long, long time.... $250 matching challenge is on the table - c'mon Angels, take my money. I want to see Lovie and Sheryl spend many happy years together.

WOW! I'll take some of your money. Who will join me?

Edited by kuhio98

OMG Betsy...

:Angel15: 's we have the MOST GENEROUS CHALLENGE offered...right now NO donation too small...it will be DOUBLED...so if you are able to donate, NOW is the time to do it...we have had many generous matching challenges so far today and now we have ANOTHER...$250.00...WOW IMOM is so blessed with so many people that care...

Let's get busy and SPREAD THE WORD...I know that Betsy is anxious to have people take her $$$...let's not disappoint her...

I can't find the emoticon for the MATCHING CHALLENGE.....

Edited by Judy

We have a $250 Matching Challenge!!

What a wonderful start to the weekend! Lovie may be able to have her life-saving surgery soon thanks to the generosity of all you angels out there!

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; note for Lovie Durlak. If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate Lovie’s name when making your donation.

Thank you so very, very much!

My heart is so over-whelmed right now. To know that there are such loving people who can help with Lovie's surgery and love her as much as I do thru her story. And my Vet Dr. Koch, to think how thrilled he was to even have the opportunity to work with IMOM.org was just as fun. We went to him as a new vet because my previous vet did not take care credit. The following day, after her evaluation, I took her back in to have her x-rays taken of her heart and lungs. Which I am very happy to report, her lungs are clear and her heart is strong and healthy. But while talking to Dr. Koch about the treatment plan and working with IMOM, he got flustered with himself. He had forgotten to send over the itemized treatment along with his portion of the initial forms. He said, and I quote "I was so excited to be doing all this, I can't believe I forgot her treatment plan". He too is such a wonderful man...

As for when Lovie will be able to have surgery, when I spoke with him today. Once the money is raised, he will clear his calendar within two days. He is hoping that this is the week!!!

I'm sitting here thinking to myself. The snow is actually melting, though a lot of ice to be careful on. And soon the ground will be soft. The spring blooms will start to appear. And the deer will be out and about feeding right across the driveway in an open area. Now generally I would give them until 7:30 am before I would let Lovie's fur baby sisters outside. Just to give the deer some time to eat. But then, game was on at 7:30 am on the dot.

I'm hoping that come that first warm spring morning, that Lovie can see those deer out by the cedar trees and go chasing after them barking just like her fur baby sister. And with help from all her Angles she will be able to do so. Slowly at first after having such an invasive extensive surgery. But with time, I'm sure she'll be on the heels of the deer.... in my mind they are. When in actuality they are barking at the air because the big 'oafs' don't move nearly as quick or sly as deer do.

I am actually looking forward to Lovie coming up the back deck with that big happy grin on her face with her fur baby sister, with the same big happy grin on her face. BECAUSE they finally have decided that Essence a la Deer Poopee' is in this season. Lovie's sister knows the drill, if it's chilly, she goes right into the shower. If it's nice out, to the front of the house she goes where the hose is. This explains my earlier post and being happy that Lovie enjoys the water. I KNOW this is an inevitable task in my very near future!

I wanted to share the picture that was taken at the shelter where Lovie was adopted on the day she came home with us.

We took the two hour drive knowing we may not be able to bring her home if she and my other two fur babies did not get along. It was instant love between the three of them. I am at center stage, yes that's me. Lovie is on the floor in front of me, she will not go on the furniture no matter how much I try to entice her. Beausifus is my other St Bernard I had gotten as a puppy when I lived in Arizona. And Daisy, my fat Cockapoo is a shelter dog as well, that I adopted when she was 1 yr old. SO that makes all three of my girls 6 years old!!!!

We are in the break room at the Broome Country Dog Shelter waiting for her 'discharge' paperwork and to get her home...

post-29517-0-68322900-1396060697_thumb.j

Well it's time for the last potty break of the night and off to bed we go. Please everyone keep sharing and posting... as Cindy and Judy both mentioned time is of the essence for Lovie's surgery. Dr. Koch has said two weeks tops for a waiting period and we have gone beyond that point. Her tumors have either ruptured or absessed, they are leaking fluid now, after speaking with her vet today he is highly concerned.

Angle's I'm asking for all the help you can offer and that we need!!! Lovie is such a wonderful dog and not giving her a full life is such a heart wrenching thought for me.

Good night all and thank you so much for all the support for Lovie!!!

Edited by sdurlak

FUND UPDATE: Lovie has $670 in donations and needs $894 more!

$150 of Lovie's $250 Matching Challenge has been met!

Thank you Angels for your donations so far! We're making good progress - let's see how far we can get this morning. Lovie's condition is life-threatening, and she really needs this surgery. We need to get her fixed up so she's out of danger. Can you please help Lovie? If you're unable to donate, please share, share, share on all your social media sites - sharing is just as important because it gets the word out to more people.

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation; note for Lovie Durlak. If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying paypal@imom.org as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate Lovie's name when making your donation.

Thank you all!

What a wonderful thing to wake up to!!!

When you check in with your vet today you can give him a funds update...I am hoping that the matching challenge will be met soon...$100.00 left and then we will have I think something like 2/3rd of the funds raised...

Lovie's Momma is doing a tremendous job of sharing Lovie's story with us....I know that the angels are reading and sharing and caring...

What wonderful news to wake up to this morning!!! We're getting there so quickly I am humbled by the outpour from Lovie's Angle's....