Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Kyle imom

Frisky: a cat with severe dental disease

252 posts in this topic

Good Afternoon everyone,

Vet just called me. Frisky Oive's xrays results came back. Her heart is healthy. Kidneys are small; vet says its normal for her age. May look into that some more. She recommended some blood work and urinalysis. The vet that will do the dental surgery will contact me tomorrow to schedule dental surgery.

They still don't know if its an abscess or tumor in her mouth. Strange. Hmm..

I requested the results be e-mailed to me so I can take look on my own as well.

Frisky has been hungry and walking around and sumtimes lounging this afternoon. The sedative has worn off. I gave some Buprenex for pain. She ate some more gerber baby food and had two treats. drank some water solution(sugar/salt). Climbed on the windowsill. This kitty still has life...Gotta love her...

Thanks for the update. Your Frisky Olive is an amazing girl! BTW, how much of the baby food is she eating, and how much water is she drinking? Did they check today to see if she is dehydrated?

I'm anxious to see when she can have her surgery...you're a great mom, advocate, and nurse!

Frisky is doing good. Her eating has been gradual. I have been taking easy with the baby food. From whole teaspoons to 1/2 now 1/4. I admit it takes time and patience. Its all worth it tho. She seems to experience less discomfort with her mouth and throat. She has had mostly gerber. beef broth, peas and brown rice. Will try pumpkin and apple tomorrow. See how she does. We still dont know if its an abscess or tumor. Tho the right side of her cheek is swollen. I am using warm wash cloth compresses and used a chamomile tea bag. She seems at peace with it. Both to bring the swelling down. I really believe in home remedies. She is still drinking water. Vet also gave her some fluids. I gave her some pain medicine about an hour ago.

My sweet and resilient girl. nite for now.

Frisky Olive's Mum

Good Morning,

Frisky was up and about today. She joined me in the kitchen as I made tea this morning. That is a true wonderful feeling. During this past week she had been pretty immobile and sleeping either in the bathroom or coat closet. It seems the more food I give her; the more she is herself. I gave her some cat food for the first time this morning. I started out with a teaspoon. Then gave her the bowl and she licked all the tuna n veggie broth. I gave her a pouch of Fancy Feast. Frisky did hav a lil discomfort swallowing but I was able to be there for her. She was licking and cleaning herself after. That made me a very happy mum. I gave her a dose of buprenex and sum warm compresses on her right cheek. She is sleeping now in one of her many special calico poses.

Waiting for vet to call about her dental surgery.

(if i dont hear from her by noon; will call office)

Hopeful Cat Mum

AJ

I just love to read your posts...your love for Frisky just shines thru everything you write.....

What a good girl on her eating...I am so happy to read that this morning...

You are such a good Mum...I'll be checking in off and on to see if the vet has called yet...and will know that you plan on checking in with them around noon if you haven't heard yet...

Miss Frisky Olive is quite the girl.....and so is her Mum....

AJ, what a great post to see today. I also believe in more natural, home remedies. I've liked the idea of tea compresses, too. When Rocky (pictured) was alive she would get these growths on her skin that would come off (usually by her picking at them) and leave an open wound. She did wonderfully with organic green tea compresses followed up with aloe vera and vitamin e.

I'm so glad that your sweetie is eating!!! What a relief!

Keep doing your amazing job and give Frisky Olive a hug and kiss from me, please.

Diane

Good Afternoon,

Just had a moment to write in a brief message. I did not hear from Frisky Olive's vet. I called and left a message for her to call me back. I am going to be by the phone.

Thanks, Frisky and I appreciate all the love and support. I appreciate reading your posts as well.

AJ

Oh my, I know that the clinics are always busy...hoping you hear soon...

It would be GRAND if Frisky can have her surgery this week...

Good late afternoon,

Vet called back. This would be the doctor who is doing the dental surgery. Since Frisky may have either an abscess or tumor; she is not sure. Tho she feels that it mite be a mouth tumor related to her dental disease. This is how she described it to me after Frisky's mouth was evaluated yesterday. So she suggested extracting a tooth and performing a biopsy before the dental surgery. This will cost an additional $300. I am not sure how to pay for that as I was not expecting this. If I have to I will take the money out of my rent. My Frisky means a lot to me. Does anyone have any suggestions? or had this type of unexpected event take place prior to a surgery?

The money raised was and is intended for dental surgery. I will do whatever it takes for my girl, my sweet Frisky Olive.

The appointment has been scheduled for April 9th, 2014. In the meantime I will continue giving Frisky food, preparing her and nurturing her for this appointment. Unfortunately, the vet does not have a payment plan. I did offer to pay a monthly amount until paid off but they don't have a payment plan.

A little concerned, yet hopeful for the best outcome for my Frisky Olive.

Thanks,

AJ

I too hope the vet calls soon so Frisky can get in and am crossing my fingers and paws that everything else turns out good. Positive thoughts coming your and Frisky's way! :)

Hope and Her Angesl

Good late afternoon,

Vet called back. This would be the doctor who is doing the dental surgery. Since Frisky may have either an abscess or tumor; she is not sure. Tho she feels that it mite be a mouth tumor related to her dental disease. This is how she described it to me after Frisky's mouth was evaluated yesterday. So she suggested extracting a tooth and performing a biopsy before the dental surgery. This will cost an additional $300. I am not sure how to pay for that as I was not expecting this. If I have to I will take the money out of my rent. My Frisky means a lot to me. Does anyone have any suggestions? or had this type of unexpected event take place prior to a surgery?

The money raised was and is intended for dental surgery. I will do whatever it takes for my girl, my sweet Frisky Olive.

The appointment has been scheduled for April 9th, 2014. In the meantime I will continue giving Frisky food, preparing her and nurturing her for this appointment. Unfortunately, the vet does not have a payment plan. I did offer to pay a monthly amount until paid off but they don't have a payment plan.

A little concerned, yet hopeful for the best outcome for my Frisky Olive.

Thanks,

AJ

AJ ~ Let your caseworker know this new development. They don't always get a chance to read the forums.

Perhaps IMOM can help if additional funds are needed since the prognosis may change.

AJ, yes...send an email to:

gf@imom.org

tell them exactly what the vet told you...they will be in touch with you via email then.....April 9th gives us time to get things figured out.....

AJ, Do as Lisa suggested...contact your caseworker.

Wow, I also wasn't expecting April 9th! I'm so glad Frisky has started eating some of her kitty food.

In the meantime, will you be taking Frisky in for sub-q fluids to help keep her hydrated? And...did they say anything about antibiotics before the surgery?

Thanks.

I sent an e-mail to Kyle(caseworker).

Yes I have pain medication(buprenex) and antibiotics. Vet did mention that it seemed to her that the antibiotic was working. Frisky has been drinking water and eating today.

A lil shaken up by all this but remaining hopeful.

AJ

They are booked till then. Tho I did leave a message for them to contact me w/ any cancellations.

Yes, I agree miracles can and do happen.

Thanks

Oh man, well that sucks. Sorry, guess I am just used to getting mine in right away. By the way, I have 20 felines I take care of. All ferels! Let me tell you the challenge that is. They all come sick, skinny and in need of something. But, if there is a will there is a way. They get spayed/neutered (after they are tamed down), shots and then released. But they stay anyway.! LOL! So with that said, I am following Frisky as I totally understand and will be willing to help more to get her to feeling better! :)

They are booked till then. Tho I did leave a message for them to contact me w/ any cancellations.

Yes, I agree miracles can and do happen.

Thanks

Great idea getting on the cancellation list. Still got everything crossed here. I hope they can get her in sooner so that you know what you're dealing with.

Just posting at the end of the nite.

My Frisky Olive ate her baby food; fed her slowly.

Had a couple scares when she started coughing a bit and felt discomfort swallowing.

I gently told her...it will be ok.

Frisky Olive, my brave and sweet girl.

She has been sleeping on her baby blanket inside her carrier, gave her a second dose of pain med.

May her guardian angels be w/ her.

Good Morning,

Frisky Olive is doing ok. She ate yet another jar of baby food. Drank water and pooped for the second time. Yay.

I was so happy. I also gave a her a little introduction to some solid cat food. She experienced lots of discomfort so stopped it immediatly. She also seem to be cough, sneezing and experiencing lots of discomfort with her mouth and the right side which is swollen. Vet thinks it mite either be an abscess or mouth tumor. I am still processing all.

In the meantime I have contacted Frisky Olive's caseworker, Kyle. May contact Dawn as well. Still waiting to here back.

Frisky is currently sleeping. I gave her pain med this morning and lots of love.

May she be blessed with lots of peaceful and gentle healing.

Well, I guess it looks like the baby food is the way to go then. Does she feel better after the tea compresses? I'll be lighting a healing candle for your little one today. Hugs and kisses to her.

Diane

I am glad that Friskie is eating...can you perhaps water down some canned cat food...or smash it with a fork to a more wet consistency...we sure don't want to irritate Frisky right now as long as she is eating...

Hi

I wanted to suggest that you feed the baby food with only chicken or turkey or lamb - the numbers two and three have garlic and onions which are bad for kitties. I usually add a little water to the food to make it even easier to eat.

I had some success also with catsure which is a milk type product for cats

Good luck to you both and I hope they can take care of Friskie soon

Kathy