Welcome to IMOM Community Home

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Dawn IMOM

Valentine Edwards - Kitty in need of help

21 posts in this topic

Valentine Edwards is a 6 year old kitty who is not eating, vomiting and has had weight loss.

Thanks to the generosity of our donors who make contributions to our general fund, IMOM was able to pledge $232 to get Valentine in to see the vet so they could figure out what is going on.

Unfortunately, the news is not what we hoped for. It looks like Valentine has cancer. The vet has given him a steroid injection and an appetite inducer in hopes that he will feel better and eat. His mom is beyond heartbroken.

Our pledge for Valentine was only possible because of donors like you. Donating to our General Fund is what enables us to help families when needed.

Here’s what Valentine’s mom has to say about him; “I found Valentine when he was about 5 weeks old. Some kids had a box with a few kittens that they'd found behind a dumpster, abandoned by someone very cruel. I've loved him like crazy ever since. I recently lost my job, home, car, etc.. I've always said, "it's you & me against the world, valentine!" I can't bear to lose anymore, and he is everything to me.”

Angels, thank you for making it possible to give Valentine’s mom answers when she needed them. I hope we can provide her with support and care in this difficult time.

Ah, this is a hard thing. I'm so sorry for the diagnosis. But at least Valentine's mom knows what it is and knows that there was nothing she could have done to prevent it.

I do hope that Valentine feels better with the medications.

Right now I too am homeless and without a car so I can't donate any money now (I would give whatever I had if I had anything in my bank right now)...but I can suggest looking up Protocel. I wish you all the best. My heart goes out to you and Valentine. I will say lots of prayers for him.

hi everybody! my name is summer, I am brand new to this site. Valentine is my beautiful 6 year old white and tabby-grey, with beautiful green-eyes kitty-cat! I was blessed to find ya'll over the weekend, and ever since, have been in touch with Dawn, as she has been an angel, and so have all of ya'll. I've been crying my eyes out for days, but really trying to be positive, and visualize Valentine getting better. today's test results showed CANCER! this is unbelievable, as he has always been vaccinated, eaten high-quality-food, just the picture of perfect health. he's been there for me through thick and thin, as I've gone through a crisis, where I lost literally everything else in my life! I thank all ya'll who have helped and prayed, and please continue to do so. I'm picking him up within an hour, and the steroid shot, and appetite-inducer should make him feel better, but the vet is saying that there's not a lot that can be done. does anyone know of anything that would help? people live years with cancer, why can't cats? I'm just not ready to accept that he is going to DIE! I will keep doing everything I know to do, but if anyone knows of anything, please, please, please let me know! I will attach a photo soon, as soon as I can! please pray, God bless ya'll and all ya'lls kitties too! with much love, summer

I am so sorry to hear about Valentine. I wish I had some concrete advice to offer. What type of cancer does Valentine have, do you know? Some cats with lymphoma do well with chemo. I lost my own cat Dylan in December, to what was probably lymphoma. Unfortunately by the time I noticed his weight loss (his only symptom) and took him right to his vet, he got so sick so quickly that we couldn't really do anything for him. You might want to look for some cat cancer support groups on line-Facebook, Yahoo groups, other forums, where you can get some advice. There are some who treat holistically-special home cooked diets, supplements. Even prednisone alone can help with some cancers. Sending prayers for you and Valentine.

Judy G.

Dear friends,

It is with great sadness to tell that Valentine went to the Bridge today. Evidently his cancer was too advanced, and he died while waiting for treatment. His mom is so devasted because she wasn't with him, but he was up and about last night so there was no way of knowing he was so ill.

All of our volunteers are shocked and saddened by this news. Please post your condolences. We hope her mom has the strength to come here and know the support she will find from all of you.

Godspeed, sweet Valentine. You were very, very loved.

Cindy/IMOM

So sudden, it's not fair.

I am so very, very sorry for Valentine's loss. May you find peace in the days to come.

It was the same with my Dylan. He was so sick he would not have survived either surgery or a biopsy to determine what kind of cancer. I was shocked at the speed with which he was gone...he had seemed fine, eating, walking around, the very morning I took him to the vet. His only symptom was the weight loss. I could not believe it when the vet told me what his labs were. I felt like such a bad mom for not knowing how sick he really was, but we can only go on what we see, and I think cats are better at hiding their illnesses. My vet even said his own cat with lymphoma had deteriorated in just 2 days from the time he noticed something wrong.

I hope Valentine's mom will know that she did everything she could for Valentine, and not blame herself for not noticing sooner-or for not being with him. Valentine was loved his whole life, and I am sure he felt that love.

So very sorry for your loss, Summer.

Judy G.

I desperately wish that I had something eloquent to say, something that would at least in some small part ease the pain. Know that Valentine is in a better place, waiting at the bridge until you can be reunited again.

So very sorry for your loss - my thoughts and prayers are with you. It's so hard to lose our furry loved ones! Know that there are so many who are thinking of you as you mourn your sweet Valentine. <3

I had read your post Summer shortly after it had been posted up. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I'm so glad that from 5 weeks and on in his life, he was able to experience love with you. That is one thing that death cannot separate is the love that both of you will always have for each other. I will say a prayer for you both tonight. I hope in time, that you will be able to find some comfort here. Take care.

Summer:

You have been in my thoughts since I learned of Valentine’s passing.

No one can really share the depth of your grief at this time. No words are going to help you or make you feel better nor can they convey the measure of sympathy for your loss.

My hope for you is that, eventually, you are able to let the light back in. And that memories of Valentine become less painful and more bittersweet as you look back on your time together and the love you shared.

Edited by Cindy.k IMOM

hi,

thank all of ya'll so so much. I've been at a loss as to what to do, I can't even speak of what has happened. I am absolutely devastated by losing my sweetheart Valentine. he was appropriately named, not just b/c I gave him to myself for Valentine's day in feb. of 08, but because of his exquisitely, perfect sweetness, not to mention the heart-shaped spot on his right shoulder. yes, we both wear our hearts on our sleeve, so to speak! I've had a very rough road these last few years, and Valentine was the one and only "thing" I did not lose, amidst all of my other losses.

now that he is gone, I am in a state of grief that some just don't or can't understand.

when I brought him to the vet's Wednesday morning at 7:30 for an ultrasound, I kissed him as I put him in the crate, and said, "right back!" (our special lingo instead of "bye," this way he knew I'd be right back! I had no inkling, no clue in the world that I'd never hold him in my arms alive again. he was not at death's door. he felt better tues. night, ate, played, cuddled and purred like usual. after the ultrasound, the vet was going to give him an injection of prednisolone and an appetite-inducer, and he was going to get better with the steroid pills, and I knew he wouldn't be 100%, nor live forever, but I anticipated more time with him, and knew we could only "manage" his illness. never in a million years did I think I would have him delivered to me in a cardboard box! I've never cried so hard in all of my life. I don't understand why the vet didn't get around to him until 3:30 that afternoon. he was alone, scared, frightened, didn't know what was going on, where "mommy" was, and had no meds, food or water since midnight before. did he think I had abandoned him b/c he was sick? did he think he would never return home to me? how did he get so weak that he just died? did the shot kill him? did the doc euthanize him w/out my consent, b/c he was gonna cost too much to treat? he didn't have him as a priority b/c he had better-paying-customers. what in God's name happened to cause him to die?!!!

I am baffled, angry, sad, confused.....

I spent the night at my daughter's last night, b/c she didn't want me to be alone. I just came home to an empty house, and everywhere I look, there he IS/WAS!!!

his favorite chair on which he slept. the window where he chattered at birds and squirrels, the "fluff-fluff" where he snuggled with me on my bed, his scratching post I MADE for him out of leather strips, beads, and feathers, his toys, sheepskin rug, his catnip on this hello--kitty-placemat....

he's everywhere! .....and nowhere.

I know I HAVE to accept this.

but right now, I can't seem to.

I'm just crushed.

he didn't have to die like that, alone, not cared for immediately, without me, his mommy!

thank all of you , I wish I'd found ya'll sooner, I will be a part of your community, and do what I can for others.

my dream is to have a farm full of rescue animals.

my mother has a 12 acre farm, she raises Arabian horses. and cats. lots and lots of them.....

one day, when the farm is mine, it will be Valentine's Sanctuary.

trust me, it will come to be.

that sweet angel of a cat was so much more than a cat, he was literally an ANGEL.

I am a writer, and I will write a book about him.

it's amazing how he touched, and changed my life.

I promise to write more tomorrow and add pics. I don't have pics on this computer, I have to scan some, but I will do so soon.

love to you all, please write, it is comforting.

thank you, Dawn, especially for the help with the vets, you are appreciated more than words can say....

goodnight,

summer, and Valentine

Edited by cat-lover-valentine

Hi Summer,

So glad that you posted. I'm so sorry for your loss and especially for all the unanswered questions. One thing that would never be a question was just how much you both loved each other. It was so evident in your posts. I'm so happy that you had that great night together on Tuesday. I would love to see pictures of your Valentine!! He sounds just as beautiful on the outside as he was on the inside. I think a book is a fantastic idea. I'd also love to hear stories about your Valentine. Be well and take care.

Rosalee

Summer -

You have been in my thoughts so often. I am so sorry and hope that the wonderful memories of Valentine with help temper this pain. Know we are here for you in your time of grief.

I think writing a book is a great idea. I've often thought it would be inspiring to put together a book of all the fur angels and tell their stories.

I am so sorry for the loss of your precious Valentine. I think that, in time, you will find the answers to your questions (and in fact, some you may already know deep in your heart). Our sweet animals know the depth of our love and I think they try to spare us the pain. I'm sorry you weren't there when Valentine went to the bridge but there is no doubt to any of us the extent of your love for him and his for you. I am also sure that Valentine knew how special he was to you.

If I could wish anything for you, it would be for your grief to turn to happiness. I know this will take time but one day I hope you wake up and smile because you shared life with Valentine. I hope that each day brings a small amount of comfort and healing. And I hope that each day you still feel the warmth of Valentine rubbing on your legs, and the love that he gave to you.

Take care Summer and know that we are all here for you.

Gab, Dove, Chloe

It must be impossible right now to think you will ever feel better. Especially when faced with the extraordinary void where Valentine used to be So grieve in your own way in your own time. And know that there are a lot of people keeping you in their thoughts and prayers.....

I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of precious Valentine.

post-22479-0-41142700-1389978143_thumb.j

hi everyone, i'm new to this site, so please excuse my awkwardness at posting ....

I managed to load a picture of my beautiful angel-boy, Valentine.

i'm just in so much grief over losing my baby, I just can't see straight!

it does not seem right or fair that he is not here.

right now, I can't even imagine being happy ever again.

I would give anything to have him back!

I know that is not gonna happen, but I cannot accept it, and i'm just tormented with

so many emotions.

today happens to be my daughter's birthday, and it's just been bittersweet as ever,

& she's been so patient and loving with me about valentine, and his loss.

I know i'm not the only one going through this, but right now, that's what it feels like.

thank ya'll everyone,

will check in tomorrow...

love, summer and valentine

What a beautiful kitty Summer! Gorgeous! She looks so much like my Bella :heart: and also like her daddy Cali who we haven't seen now since August :sad: I feel maybe he has passed on now. It must have been bittersweet to be with your daughter today on her birthday. Good that you have been spending time with her. Surround yourself with loved ones and come here when you feel up to it. Just take one moment at a time. It was very sweet of you to post up to Taro's thread in your time of grief. Everybody is here for you. Looking forward to hearing stories of Valentine.

Summer, I am sorry for your loss. I like the parting message you gave Valentine to let him know you'd be coming back. Our secret communication methods, and how well these magnificent creatures understand is testament to our connection with them. Please know that for Valentine, your return will be like the blink of an eye, and he knows you did not abandon him.

Dear Summer,

I just signed up to be a part of this community, and your forum was one of the firsts that I saw. I can not believe how terrible of an event that must of been for you. And the level of shock that you are still must be going through. It is never easy when you can't say goodbye. I am inspired by your goal of having an animal rescue someday. I really think that is the most positive thing you could do to carry on Valentines name. You will be giving back as much as you can to animals that you never want to be treated that way. And you will create one large happy animal rescue family.

You are in my thoughts...and I am moved by how the community has supported and responded to you.

I am so deeply sorry for your loss.

Love,

Jenna